TN 2013 Kelley Fox Pinot Maresh Vineyard (updated with 2014 note)

+1. Certainly some wonderful wines but generally, I personally have stuck to 2010, 2011 and even 2012. A year may change my opinion. Right now they are very primary.

Jason

Agreed. I did not know that SP Audrey was also the Maresh vineyard! I love that bottling and Scott Paul was where I first encountered Kelley’s wine. Sadly only only the last couple years she was there. But I’ve managed to source a few back vintages on Winebid.

Yes. I can be corrected but my recollection is that Audrey is 100% Maresh.

In 2005, St Innocent got Maresh fruit. It is magic. I still have 3 bottles.

J

I’m drinking the '13 Mirabai. Very pale limpid rose petal color that darkens with air. Very unusual aromatics; a bit reserved but sweet rose mixed with sea brine, bacon and campfire. Soft, soft, and more soft on the tongue-weightless with just a tad of cherry tannin and brine hititng the mid-tongue and finishes off with a touch of saltiness and acidity. The fruit is just under the surface instead of floating on top. This reminds me of a fair amount of second bottlings I’ve bought in the past including Maresh’s stuff-it is nice but not not super or great. It lacks a bit of focus and piercing personality.

Great note, Mitch. I like this bottling and reupped a couple times on it. For around, $30 I thought it was a good deal. I found quite a bit of bottle variation. Some were sweeter with almost a strawberry jam element and some were like you describe, with the fruit under the surface and what I perceived to be a stronger piney/almost astringent note. Got to keep my hands off my last one.

For comparison purposes, I opened the 2014 Kelley Fox Pinot Maresh last night. No formal note, because the wine didn’t really grab me, which is when I most like to write a note. Also, of course, it’s ridiculously young. It’s quite a bit darker in color than the 2013, a more standard Pinot color though still on the lighter end of the spectrum. It seems to share more with the other 2014 Oregon pinots that I have had than it does with Kelley’s other bottlings. It has that ball of ripe, unruly fruit hitting the front of the palate with not a lot of follow through. Lacks the swoony strawberries of the 2013. After it’s been open a while, there’s a distinct glycerol element to the mouthfeel. Right now I wouldn’t rush out and buy this (though I already did) and I don’t have the experience with Oregon Pinot to say “this just needs time.” I’ll be interested to check in on my other bottles in a few years.

I love Kelley’s wines, and highly recommend them as some of Oregon’s best wines. However, I also think that as time passes 2013 will be a vintage people regret not buying more of. Many of the wines are still fleshing out, but for those seeking the delicate beauty of Pinot Noir, 2013 will be a rich hunting ground.

I don’t know Marcus, opened 13 Resonance and Archery Summit Red Hills on Sunday. I think like 07 it will be heavily producer dependant.

You’re both right. Buying across the board…not recommended. Given a choice, I’ll lean towards 2013 over 2012 and 2014, assuming skilled hands (and a little luck [wink.gif]). It’ll be interesting to watch how the 3 vintages age.

RT

This is me today. I watched many '13s earlier this year, and thought they’ll still be around later in the year. Alas, the ones I want are gone from my preferred sources. Need to look elsewhere and hope I luck out.

Scott-am I not on the preferred producer list? :wink:

I saved quite a bit. In fact, we never released the 2013 Goodfellow Bishop Creek PN. It was just 75 cases and I think it will be better in a few years so we’re just not selling it for a while.

The 2013 Goodfellow Heritage PN only went to wine club and Berserker Day sales(don’t open it) and the rest is going to sit for 3-5 more years.

I’m not bragging, I just really believe that, like 2007, this is a vintage where post rain picks from older vines, shepherded by experienced producers will be wines that top my personal enjoyment list.

You absolutely are! For some reason I thought your '13 PNs were gone. If not, I’ll be down the weekend before Thanksgiving so will need to buy more. Somehow I have a bottle of your '13 Bishop Creek PN?

Wine Club shipment(I think). Possibly from when you brought the Raffault. The 2013 is reminding me of a nicer, slightly more tannic, Mercurey right now.

I’ll see you the weekend before Thanksgiving!

Now that we have high jacked to Goodfellow, how about Whistling Ridge? I only have 1 '13, 6 of Matello '11. Maybe buy more of the '13 and cellar? [thankyou.gif]

I have a 2013 Cristom Mt Jefferson open right now. It’s really lovely.

Michael

Apologies for hijacking. This really should be about Kelley’s truly beautiful wines.

Dennis-I’ll reach out to Eric at Sec with a bit of availability for you.

Not at all concerned about hijacking. All good information and so great to be able to hear from Marcus and Todd.

I just wanted to add that we finished the 2014 kelley fox Maresh yesterday, 3 days after we opened it. We were having dinner with it, not really thinking about the wine. We took our first sip somewhat unthinkingly and both our heads snapped up simultaneously “what the heck happened to that?” It had filled out beautifully and showed full, ripe yet elegant fruit and good length. Darn that the last glass had to be so good! Different than the 2013 but very happy to have both in my cellar.

Kelley and Maresh is a perfect storm.

I just put in an order for some Walter Scott WV PN & Chard because I got an email blast from Seattle Paul and would rather buy locally. I need to visit although I gather you would rather sell through stores. I have some pick ups down that way, so one of these days I will stop to talk wine and say hello. I would bring the wife, but she would get upset unless I buy a bunch of whites. Maybe put the reds in a chard box, though I could bring my daughter and her family along and she could pay for the wine. [wow.gif]On the other hand, the wife could stay home and babysit the youngsters and we could pay her with more chard. [snort.gif]

Dennis-come out to visit any time. It would be fun to look at a couple of the cooler vintage wines while you are here. Bring the wife too, we do pretty solid Chardonnay too.