TN: 2013 Envinate Garnacha Tintorera Albahra (Spain, Vino de Mesa)

• 2013 Envinate Garnacha Tintorera Albahra - Spain, Vino de Mesa (4/18/2016)
    A triumph of natural wine making. It’s hard to believe that this is the same grape as the one which made all those big, spicy, Pagani Alicante Bouschets. Here, the wine is fresh, with lively acid, and has an explosive red fruit & flowers nose. The palate is plenty ripe, but not at all jammy or hot - just has lots of raspberry and pomegranate fruit with a touch of tannin and spice on the finish and then that nice acid that gives it good length. There’s a touch of reduction here and a touch of carbonic character but it’s all subsumed in the fruit and the seamless, silky texture. This not only could pass for Volnay, but good Volnay. Crazy good QPR at ~$20. Aplauso! (91 pts.)

I just opened the Taganan (blanco) 2011 from them a week or two back and found it a bit overpriced at $30+ a bottle for what was, essentially, Muscadet. Like to try the red to compare.

I love Canary Island wine but it ain’t cheap. IIRC most of their wines from the Canaries are from Tenefire; I’ve had better luck from Lanzarote with its crazy climate and soils.

Thanks for the heads-up. Just picked up a bottle of the Tinto on close-out from K and L @ $22. Looking forward to trying something new (for me).

Cool! Thanks for the notes! I have been curious about this producer/project.