TN: 2013 Carlisle Zinfandel Sonoma County (USA, California, Sonoma County)

I have 4 (and 2 of the Syrah). I’ll be opening one of these soon now. Thanks FMIII, once again, for your enthusiastic notes. :slight_smile:

I thought it was great on night #1, and even better night two.

we had a bottle last weekend … wish I had bought more … a lot more.

[cheers.gif]

If you’re keeping score and hanging on my every word, as I know all of you do…I forgot about the remnants of this last night and so here it is Sunday, the wine has been open since Thursday and it’s drinking like a little charmer. Fresh, full of the depth it had when I poured the first glass on Thursday, still lively, the tang of the acidity and cherry fruit still there, just delicious. As it warms up from the cellar temp, the fruit richens a bit but that core of red cherry never leaves.

Just wanted to keep reminding all of you that said you wish you would bought more. I agree. [thumbs-up.gif]

Frank, breh…I’m telling you, this will be tons better by next summer. Hold onto a bottle if you have a few left.

FM3–we did the Syrah Friday night.
Schwing!!

I’m also having problems staying out of the Zins

I guess you’ll have to open another one as consolation wine, eh Frank? :frowning:

One of my nicest visits on the Tour, happy to share my impressions of the 14s in barrel, the P.S. was particularly compelling and it and the Rosella’s will make my Honourable Mention list for the trip:

"CARLISLE WINERY

Confession–it’s very hard to keep on time, and doubly so when you take a wrong turn on directions. I was very lucky that I got to the winery just as Mike was thinking of needing to leave. He was wonderful with me and we were able to spend 45 minutes together. This is my first time meeting him and it’s a meeting I’m not likely to soon forget.

For him, 6 years have brought the reality that although he never thought he’d be bigger than 5k cases, here he is at 10k cases. The “optics” of colour, smell, taste which he used to focus on are now things that come much more naturally and his focus has switched to the “texture” of his wines. Off we went to the new facility on the winery to barrel taste through a bunch of stuff. My sincere thanks to Mike for sharing all this with me.

2014 Carlisle Papera Ranch in old Billan barrel

Overall, he tends to use about 17% new oak. These are 80 year vines. Blueberry and macerated plum already, brambles too. This is 96% Zin and 4% Carignane. Already big and bright.

2014 Carlisle Carlisle Zin in neutral Nadalie and 3-year barrel

Mike blended this for me on the spot, the vines were planted in 1927, this spends 16 months in oak. More cool fruit, brighter, cocoa. Same in mouth, snappy but less up-front-ness. 88% zin, the rest FORTY or so other varieties. Fun! For Mike, how fruit looks and feels is an important factor now (echoing Paul’s take on things at Small Vines, Hardy too, for that matter)

2014 Carlisle Montafi Zin in neutral barrel

88% zin here, about 7 other varieties, including some Alicante. Already enticing fruit, with blueberry, blackberry and perfume in the bouquet. To taste, sweet, plush, plum cake and cherry and spices. Sweet and fine and velvety, the site is closer to Santa Rosa and higher up.

2014 Carlisle Hayne Zin in neutral Ermitage barrel

Almost all Zin here, 240 cases, deep black fruit, espresso, chocolate and black tea all have an aromatic voice. Even genmaicha. Deep–yum–almost wild with kirsch and cassis and even some mint backing. Not a shy wine, as you’d expect from Hayne.

2014 Carlisle San Lorenzo Zin in neutral barrel

Mike tells the story of how this was planted in 1890 and bought for 10 gold coins. Alexander valley. Grand Noir, Alicante, Negrette and Petite Sirah join the Zin here. Red fruit nuzzie and…saffron, for sure. On the brambly and boysenberry side dans la bouche. Much growing to do.

2014 Carlisle Pagani Ranch Alicante in neutral barrel

Mike was able to find a half-barrel within reach to try me on this special treat. 13.3%, starts reductive but blows off quickly, presents spiced coffee and black plum. Kinetic, full of structure and mineral/iron. Needs much time, rugged and (Mike thinks so as well) probably this half-barrel is destined for a blend.

2014 Carlisle 2 Acres Mourvedre in neutral Francois Freres barrel

1910 vines, and they’re still there. Salted meat element to the red fruit scents. Reductiveness comes in and out. Dried berry. Velvety smooth, bountiful fruit. One to track.

2014 Carlisle Papa’s Block Syrah in neutral barrel

Fascinating! Pencil shavings. No foolin’ Mixed with pine needles and blue fruit. Some herbs—marjoram. This can easily be a 10 year wine, sweet and rich and full. My friend Deb would probably love this stuff.

2014 Carlisle Rosella’s Syrah in old Remond barrel

Excellent nose and mouth already defines cherry and plum fruit but with cocoa and herbs background and swathe of cardamom.

2014 Carlisle Palisades Petite Sirah in barrel

Can’t remember if Mike served this out of neutral or new, might’ve been new. 50 years dry farmed. This has a “length” on the nose that many P.S. wines do not, chocolate fruit torte, a lot of blue plum, I do find light shake of pepper lurking. Again, even at this early stage, a roundness of tannins, expanding at the back of the throat. Excellent food wine, very flavourful with delicious milk chocolate finishing things off.

One very insightful comment he made when discussing the 14 vintage (and what he thinks may happen this year) is that it was a compressed vintage in terms of harvest, and he tracked back the logic chain to the fact that all the varieties flowered at the same time in the Spring.

A most enjoyable visit!"