TN: 2013 Cameron Hughes Cabernet Sauvignon Lot 599 (USA, California, Napa Valley)

Big day around here. I put my deck in place and place the tops on my seasonal gazebo. Its about 65 and just beautiful. I wanted something different. This is going down just about right and soon beneath that gazebo as the sun sets…

• 2013 Cameron Hughes Cabernet Sauvignon Lot 599 - USA, California, Napa Valley (4/24/2016)
    It’s dark. Nose shows a sweetness of cold black fruits; on the palate I get boysenberries, blackberries, black currant. This has nice mouthfeel that is dense and compact with loads of stuffing just waiting to get out and they will; this should be held for at least 2-3 years as this is tightly wound but the goods are there.Notes of sandalwood and sassafras show with much swirling. I like the slight creamy texture this shows as well. There is also a bit of dustiness that comes out as it warms a bit. Tannins are near-pucker and acidity spot on, this has some very nice balance. It does come across just a wee-bit simple compared to the 600 I had last week .The finish is admirable.
    Cam thinks this better than the 600, I may see why he thinks it (other than the 600 being sold out— :slight_smile: ).The 600 gives love now, but this will make you work for it, and it just might be worth it. (90 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Awesome. Thanks so much for this. Just got my shipment, and I’ve been wondering what to do. Your answer wasn’t the one I was hoping for, but hopefully patience will be rewarded! I think the 2013s in general are still babies, so no reason this should be ready yet, I suppose. Can’t recall reading anywhere…any guesses as to the origins of the 599?

I’ve had this three times and can’t work up much enthusiasm for it. Yes, it has some interesting components and, yes, time may help but I don’t think it is in the same class as Lot 600. I have another three bottles and I will be patient. Hope it’s worth it! Cam says this sells for $135+ a bottle and was awarded 93-95 points in barrel. Doesn’t add up for me.

I popped one last month and it’s very tight. Needs time… As most 2013’s…

Just received my 3 bottles yesterday and buried them in the “do not open 'til 2020+” section of the cellar. Your note confirms my decision so thanks Mike!

Thanks for the note. I’ll be patient with this.

Had Lot 489 a white blend while making dinner tonite.

The bottle pretty much vanished in a heartbeat, good spring quaffing

Don’t forget to try CH’s whites…

EDITED 8/25/16: Another bottle of lot 489 was much blurrier tonight. It has lost its verve in the 4 months. I hate to say it about such a young wine, but drink up this 2013.

I have 6 of the 599. Not tasted them yet. I opened a Lot 597 last week and it was very nice. Dark, it needs time.

I had the 469 CS last week. Not a fan. Tasted a wee-bit manufactured.

By the way, Mike, you may have built a “seasonal gazebo,” but I bet you can’t say it five times fast.

What do you mean by “manufactured”? Not very distinctive?

I took it to mean spoofy.

It just comes off as not as pure CS as I enjoy, more like a wine I might encounter in a slightly off vintage and some additional ‘coaxing’ was needed to bring it into reality, if that makes sense.

cool! Thanks for sharing!