TN: 2012 Paloma Merlot from the recent fire sale

I still have one 2001 cab, my oldest bottle left of any of their wines. I bought syrah every vintage until they grafted the estate vines over. Good stuff. Still have a couple of the '04, which I think was the last estate vintage.

Re: rattlesnake stories…Barbara told me a different one. She and a female friend were out in the vineyard pruning. Her friend had brought her small dog along. As they were working, they heard a commotion a few rows over. A mountain lion had the small dog and carried it off. No more Fido.

Down the hill a bit, Barnett Winery has a “Rattlesnake” vineyard. Wonder how it got its name. Isn’t the wine business romantic??

+1 on the filtering. The 2012 has a lot of gelatinous residue that needs to be filtered out before drinking. I wrote to Sheldon to ask about it but never heard back. I did get a few cruise ship invitations instead. I miss Barbara and Jim. Sipping wine on their back porch while watching the humming birds is one of my fondest memories of the grounded side of Napa.

Queen City Grill in Belltown used to have a great and approachable wine list. Thanks for the throwback memory Kris.
Cheers,
H

Bob Foley was making the wines for a while, at Pride, until their son stepped in. I spent a lot of time with them back in the day and the day I met their son, after he moved back home to “make wine”, I kind of knew how it will all end up. He never seemed a “farmer” type. Sad.

Jim and Barbara loved their Syrah, but the vines required lots of manual labor to keep them in check, as Barbara put it one day we discussed it, “They grow like weeds, 15-18 feet in length”.

Have a bottle of 2001, made by Foley, need to open it in honor of their memory. Great people.

Pretty much par for the course for any Napa mountain vineyard, really. Never understood why Les Behrens let his Jack Russell roam so freely on my visits. Most keep an eye on their dogs, especially small ones. Though know of many dogs bitten by snakes as well, and people.