TN: 2012 Éric Texier Côte-Rôtie Vieilles Vignes

The 2000 was drinking very, very well a few months ago.

I would not try the Jamet 2010 any time soon, they will need quite some more time to be even approchable. I had a 2007 recently that was far from mature (though you could see it’s going to be very good in some time). 2006 might be more ready but if you have only a few bottles, I would wait a bit more.

Alain

I agree. We had the 07 last month.
I have one 2000 Texier Hermitage waiting for the right moment.

Looking back I was being completely unclear - was wondering about Texier 2010 Cote Rotie not Jamet. I’ve made that mistake with Jamet enough times that I’ve learned my lesson :slight_smile:. Keith’s remarks and seeing that 2010 Texier locally made me wonder if the Texier might be remotely enjoyable now. Sounds like no.

Jamet, Texier whatever. It’s Cote Rotie so the rule of 15 still applies.

I don’t have any Texier that old, but the 2004 and 2005s i’ve had in the last year or so have been good but nowhere near ready. With Jamet, as Gerhard says, the late 90’s wines are really nice now. I’ve opened 1 2004 Jamet a year for the last 3 years (2012, 13, 14) and they’ve been enjoyable with a lot of air, but in the end i’ve regretted it a little so the rest are lock away at this point. With prices going where they are i’ll need to stretch the Cote Rotie (and Cornas) I own that much farther anyway, so a real pity to drink it early.

I had the 2000 Texier Côte Rôtie about a year ago and loved it, though I thought it was a little past its prime. I’m curious how well the rule of fifteen applies to the StJStA and Brézème wines. I was planning to save my last 04 Brézème Pergaud (sp?) until next year sometime.

The 2000 Cote-Rotie I had back in late October seemed right in middle-late prime. I’d drink soon-ish, but I wouldn’t worry about it falling off a cliff.

The oldest Brézème Pergaud I’ve had recently was the 2006 last summer, IIRC. It showed great, but definitely early prime. I would think that the 2004 could be really good now or soon. The 2005 is more of a backward monster.

The 1999 Brezeme (not the Mise Tardive) was georgeous and still on the young side about a year ago.

Thanks, this is helpful and in-line with my experience – didn’t mean to suggest the 2000 CR was in imminent danger. The 04 Pergauds were in a good place a couple of years ago, so I went through a bunch and now only have the one left.

I don’t think I can wait that long with 04. I think the style was quite a bit different back then. I know it was with the Châteauneufs I had.

Good to hear, I have one bottle left and beside the FAKE CORK I think is in there, I believe Eric mentioned online sometime recently that the wine may have had some malic acid left at bottling. I know some people found it way too acidic in its youth. I’ve had mixed results with the wine. I’ve been holding this last one with a mix of anticipation and fear. When it’s good…well, it was an early wine internet darling for a good reason.

The 1998s under synthetic in the past couple of years have been decent but seem to have suffered from the closure, but the 1999 I had most recently was under natural cork, IIRC.

sounds like 100 points, why 99?

the 2012 jamet cote-rotie is stunning, but indeed requires time. looks to be a pretty classic vintage.

Because I’m irresponsible

Phuck, now I have to go buy something else . . . .

BTW, I’ve bought quite a few Northern Rhones and Chinon Cab Francs from this vintage. I’m a fan.

Again Keith is spot on. This is the real Syrah!
99+

Damnit Claus, take a stance and buckle down! Go 101. I will likely be at 104 with my KL+5 scale.

Hoping that’s the case, I admit I don’t recall precisely.

Well if Keith and Nathan are in, I’m definitely in!! I’ll have to seek some out.

Good hearing from you Keith, I haven’t been swimming in this pool very much lately as well.

Keith, did you decant? Planning to drink one of these tonight.

John’s note today on the 1999 Texier Côte Rotie, got me thinking, I still need to pop one of these KL-anointed 2012s in the interest of science. Well, it’s the real deal.

If Metras made a Côte Rotie, this might be it.

Buzzy acid, citrus notes, savory as all get-up, salinity, smokey, and tangy. Ridiculously fresh, lifted, the sensation of a light-bodied wine except for the fact that there is so much going on with this wine. Predominantly red-fruited. Not even picking up the steaminess that I normally find, and like, in Texier.

A fascinating expression of Côte Rotie.

How are the 2013s?