TN: 2012 Chartron Chevalier-Montrachet Clos des Chevaliers

Those d’Auvenay canopies must be double the height of their neighbor. Kind of like me standing next to LeBron James! Thanks for sharing.

Do you know the source of the PYCM Chevalier?

Reviving this topic, as I opened two Chartron GC’s last night: the 2007 Chevalier-Montrachet and the 2014 Corton-Charlemagne. It was Chartron-off and Chartron-on, as it were. The Chevalier, was very unfortunately, oxidized. Not full bore, not to the point of drinking rust, but the color was way too deep, smelled like apple juice on opening, and never breathed up or gave much of anything. Fortunately, I had the '14 C-C, which was probably the best expression of C-C I’ve tried.The nose showed citrus, grapefruit, lots of minerality, ,some matchstick, deep darker fruit–plum or persimmon–and a trace of star anise. It was mouth-filling and explosive, with very tart citrus, sparkly mineraliity, spice, slightly oily in the mid-palate and great length—finish goes on and on. And, yes, the '07 Chevy was under cork, the '14 C-C under diam.

Charton îs diam now ? I wasn’t aware.

1 Like

I’ve had the '12 Chevy twice. No DIAM.

I think the winemaking at Chartron improved dramatically after about 2014/2015 or so. I opened a 2019 Chevalier on Thursday for one of the Paulee related dinners and it was good, though obviously quite young. I don’t recall if it was DIAM. I believe some of the recent vintages were bottled under DIAM and some under natural cork.

I reckon the wines have always been very good.

1 Like