TN: 2012 Alfred Merkelbach Ürziger Würzgarten Riesling Spätlese Urglück

It’s not Schaefer.

Yep, I just meant to say that I think they would’ve been among the least likely possibilities. Any other likely candidates besides the Selbachs?

I think that’s right.

Obvious bets are Molitor, Loosen or Lieser.

This producer was never imported to the Uk in any quantity, I’ve only tried a couple of bottles.

Sorry, the Shaefer reference was simply meant as wishful thinking that the Merkelbach parcels end up in good hands. Although as much as I like Shaefer’s wines they are, IMHO, somewhat bigger/denser wines than Merkelbach. Jason’s post was the first I had heard anything of where the estate would end up.

I believe it was this producer in which i was told that they typically are one step lower on the pradikat scale, so this Spat would drink like most producers Kabinett, is this generally true?

This wine felt and drank like a spätlese. There was a time when I would have said a step lower was an OK guideline, but these days I think half a step may be about as far as I am willing to go. It’s also vintage dependent. Merkelbach does not do much of the hyper-sorting for pradikat, so if a year has uneven ripeness their wines can feel lighter. 2012 was pretty homogeneous for them, so there wasn’t much in the way of dilution. A parcel got picked, and made a wine that tasted they way it was labeled. 2015 is another year that plays to the Merkelbach’s favor.

Thanks for the detailed response David, really looking forward to trying one, just need to get down to Vinopolis in PDX to grab em.

“Sarcasm” as defined by Merriam-Webster: 1 : a sharp and often satirical or ironic utterance designed to cut or give pain
2a : a mode of satirical wit depending for its effect on bitter, caustic, and often ironic language that is usually directed against an individual.
So maybe Michael did detect sarcasm and reacted accordingly. I did not detect sarcasm. Just a little joke about the German language.
I love Merkelbach.

If it wasn’t for Urgluck, Wurzgarten would have no luck at all.

Just had to say it.

I have been hoarding some of these since purchase. I may pull one to have a taste based upon this.

Many thanks,
fred

The vineyard Urglück Weinlagen