TN: 2011 Taylor Fladgate LBV Port

Found at my local Trader Joe’s for $18, so why not. Opened last night and thought I’d see how it may or may not have changed almost 24 hours later. Typical dark purple one would expect. Slight tankiness which was surprising, lavender, and plums on the nose. Soft tannins and fresh berries start out what then changes into denser chalkier tannins and more black fruit and mocha. There was some spirit protruding on day one which is now integrated and gone, leaving a much better balanced Port. A nice, albeit somewhat short, finish rounds out a decent filtered LBV.
87 Points

What do you mean by tankiness? I have never encountered that term before.

Eric, it’s tough to describe but it’s a very unique smell that young Port gets from being held in large tanks. Mostly seen in young VP cask or barrel samples, and sometimes when VP or an unfiltered LBV just gets released. It was weird to smell it on something that has been aged and then in bottle for as long as this filtered LBV has.

Interesting. Thanks!

News to me as well. Thanks!
sddefault.jpg

Talking TF LBV, still have the 2005 and `07 LBV.

I’d probably be thinking about drinking both of those Bob. The Taylor LBVs, being filtered, aren’t made for aging. I’ve had both the 05 and 07 in the past couple of years and they were fine, but I had an 03 hanging around to which wasn’t anywhere near as good as it had been a couple of years earlier, and I felt the 03 had far better structure than the 05 in particular.

I am hoping the 11s turn up over here soon(we don’t get to see many LBVs over here) . We still have 10s on the shelves which are quite ok, but I am keen to get my hands on a superior vintage and see what the difference is. I thought the 09s were very good.

Thanks for the note!

I recently saw the 2010 and 2011 together on a shelf and picked the 2010 on the spur of the moment logic that in an undeclared year the LBV would get some grapes that it otherwise wouldn’t. I have no idea whether or not that’s even true. In any case, I liked the 2010. I think I’ll go back for a 2011.

Interesting point about the filtered vs. unfiltered. Which LBV by the big houses is not filtered? I’ve liked the Taylor in the past (LBV) but I was expecting a better showing than 87 points, given the year. I’ve also heard the story about better quality grapes going into LBV if the year is not declared. Any consensus on that?

I think that both Warre’s and Smith Woodhouse are unfiltered from the Symington stable. I’m not certain, but I think the Grahams is filtered. I reckon Dow has done both. Noval is unfiltered. Generally if it has T-stopper then it has been filtered and and if it has a driven cork then it isn’t.
Not too many actually make it to my shores so I don’t get to do the research. I am sure Andy will be able to reel off a few more ( and correct anything I am not right about above)
I don’t think you’ll get consensus on the story about higher quality grapes making it into the LBV in off years. I tend to think not.
Only a small percentage of production will make up Vintage port in excellent years anyway. In less good years, the big players make single Quinta ports, unless the year was pretty bad. Different companies will have different priorities too. Some would prioritize tawny stocks or even reserve ruby above the LBV, so the next best fruit may not go to the LBV anyway. My feeling is that the excellent years mean that the overall grape quality is lifted and that ends up being a good thing for the overall quality of LBV

Of the larger producers…

Unfiltered:
Smith Woodhouse
Quinta do Noval*
Warre’s
Niepoort
Quinta do Crasto
Sandeman (at least their newer ones)
Ferreira
to name a handful. The easiest way to generally tell is ones that use a driven cork are unfiltered, if they use a t-cork they are filtered.

Filtered:
Fonseca
Taylor’s
Dow’s
Graham’s
*Quinta do Noval also makes a filtered LBV for airlines and for a few European markets.