TN: 2011 Myriad Cellars Cabernet Sauvignon Beckstoffer Dr. Crane Vineyard

I 10000% agree with you on Cimarossa in 2011. Actually…2011 Tor Kenward Cimrossa is probably the only cab from the vintage I’ve really enjoyed. Note from mid November below.

2011 Tor Kenward Cimarossa Cabernet
This was awesome…especially for a 2011 cab (I’m generally not a fan). Incredibly complex mouthful of red and blue fruits, cassis, and nutmeg with a long, mouth watering finish. Drank this with a buddy who is not really into wine at all, and he literally raved about what he called ‘layers of flavors’. Couldn’t have said it better myself . Drink or hold for 5+ years.

Edit for spelling

Rich, I’ve never had a Tor, but have heard great things. If their 2011 Cimarossa is anywhere close to the ones I have had from “Cimarossa”, or better, then it must be good. Honestly, I was shocked at the depth and complexity, and balance, from their 2011s. I had a 2012 last year and found it way too big.

I’m a fan of most Kenward wines but was really happy with this 11. Grabbed 4 at Total Wine a while back as they had it mislabeled as the general Napa bottling and priced around $70 per (think it typically retails for closer to $120)

Here

I thought.

Isn’t that expressing a thought/opinion? I mean… just what he thinks right? That’s a pretty tame opinion by the standards of this board? :wink:

Nobody else has made mention of the 2011 Dr Crane. I haven’t had it myself but I would be curious to hear what others think of this bottle?

Regarding the 2011 vintage in Napa, I believe its better than what the press has bestowed upon it. Not all 11’s I’ve had were solid but three in particular were excellent. The Drinkward Peschon is great, I actually prefer it to the 2010 and 2012. The Heather Glen if you can find any is tremendous. Dunn Howell Mountain is stunning!

I agree with you, Chris. I got to taste quite a few 2011 cabs from Howell Mountain when my wife and I were out there around the time of their release. I thought several were terrific, and the Dunn Howell Mountain was definitely a stand out.

I haven’t had the 2011 Dr. Crane, but I have enjoyed a few bottles of Mike’s 2011 Three Twins cab.

I also enjoyed a few bottles of Merrill’s 2011 Black Cat, but I drank them all up and, so, can’t comment on how it’s tasting more recently. I look forward to reading her notes about that, though.

I should add that the 2011 Beau Vigne ‘Juliet’ has also been very good recently, and the 2011 Rivers Marie Panek Vineyard cab is perhaps the best 2011 I’ve had to date.

I have had this wine and agree with the OP’s conclusion. It is at the top of the heap for 2011 napa cabs that I have had but it’s a pretty low hill.

I’ve had the following 2011’s:

Schrader Las Piedras (Once)
Colgin Tychson Hill (2x)
Realm Dr Crane (3x)

and all were very good with little time to decant. I thought last year was the window of opportunity for most of these wines in 2011 but open for discussion.

Couple of thoughts on 2011 and in general,

I agree that the vintage is not as stellar as some of the other vintages that have surrounded it. I have had a multitude of wines from the vintage ranging from not great to fantastic. The Pulido-Walker Melanson was excellent. I was actually in Napa in early Nov. of 2011 when they were still picking and fighting cold and rain and everything you don’t want at harvest. But to me, the reality is you have variance in every vintage. Take 2013 which is supposedly fantastic. I have had a wine or two that I didn’t enjoy. Maybe it doesn’t hit my palate, maybe I was having an off day, whatever, it happens. To blanket vintages I think is very dangerous, I also think reading the press puts thoughts in our minds that affect our perception unless we are tasting blind which for the most part the wineloving community only does sparingly.

Now for the part that I will get crucified for on this board. The concept that wineries should charge different amounts for good versus bad vintages is ridiculous. The costs for wineries are the same regardless of if it is a good or a bad vintage. Also, who determines what a good vintage and a bad vintage is. 2014 for me is less enjoyable than 2015 because there is less fruit showing in 2014 up release than 2015, so should I pay less for 2014 because I have to cellar the bottle for more years taking up space and tying up capital until the wine hits a place that I will enjoy drinking it? Maybe in 5 years I like 2014 better than 2015 should I go back and pay more?

Here is the bottom line, buy wine don’t buy wine who cares. Complain about price don’t complain about price, who cares. If the price of a bottle of wine affects your life, you should not be purchasing it. I have plenty of people that can’t fathom spending $250 for a bottle of wine, but I enjoy it. Good year bad year, I am going to purchase the wine if I enjoy. If you don’t, don’t buy it or buy selectively. But to assume that because it is a bad vintage in someone’s mind you should get a discount, please. How many of Mike Smith’s wines from 2011 wind up on last bottle or WTSO. The answer is none, so someone, somewhere is enjoying them. Oh, yea, its probably me and a bunch of other berserkers.

Cheers,

mark

I agree about the 2011s. Many times there’s an initial assessment of a vintage but that changes as the wines develop. Not always. I can think of many examples where the panning of a vintage turned out to be correct. But in places like Napa or CdP, sometimes a “lesser” vintage is more to my liking, which is exactly why I wanted to have the 2011 wine as opposed to another vintage. I’m sure there’s a lot of pretty good wine from that vintage, this one just confounded my expectations. It wasn’t jammy or hot, but it was really soft and didn’t resemble anything I’d expect from a cooler, wetter vintage.

I don’t make the wine so don’t know what the choices were, but I’d be curious to see what other wine makers think.

By the way, WTSO is currently offering the 2011 Notre Vin Howell Mtn cab. That was another wine that my wife and I both thoroughly enjoyed when we visited Napa two summers ago, in case anyone is interested. It’s up for $49.99 w/ free shipping on any quantity.

(No affiliation to either the winery or WTSO.)

I thought.[/quote]
brian- if that quote is proof of me ‘thinking i can call the shots’ then i think i need to check my old law school notes on the definition of proof.

Last night we had the 2011 Black Cat. It was what I expected from the vintage - a true Cab with some tannin and grip and only slightly dilute as compared to other vintages. On its own though, a very nice, solid wine, not soft and with some of the herbal notes you expect from Cab. My wife loved it, which is nice since it was her birthday.

Apologies for my customers and I usurping this thread. Answering questions regarding my feelings on my 2011.

Pulled the cork early this morning. Poured a taste and found lots of cassis, alcohol, and acid. Filled the glass and am revisiting throughout the day. Tough work, but somebody has to do it!

I always recommend decanting my wines, and this is no exception. The alcohol and acid have stepped back, and the fruit has emerged as a rounder cherry/raspberry. Some notes of cedar, but I do not detect oak/vanilla. Dried herbs wafting through, which for me has been the signature of this wine. Dried sage and thyme…nothing green. Muted and providing interest to the fruit.

Medium/light body for an EMH; probably light for a typical Napa Cab.

Drink or hold. Folks - there is no danger (in my opinion) of this wine falling off the cliff anytime soon. But please decant so go you are able to enjoy the nuances. I am going to follow through the afternoon and evening, as the Patriots win another game.

p.s. Mr. Alfert might even like this [cheers.gif] .

I’m glad to hear there’s plenty of acidity, which was the issue I saw in the OP!
Time to open one and check for my self :slight_smile:

Thanks for the note but not for the Jinx…