TN: 2011 Domaine Fourrier Gevrey-Chambertin Vieille Vigne

I enjoy Fourrier and have begun opening some from between -06 and -09. His style is distinctive, and it does often lead with fruit, but he has serious holdings in Gevrey and the wines with air show genuine complexity, can be quite beautiful, and are actually quite light on their feet–nothing like Dugat-Py or even Perrot-Minot, other candidates for the Kosta Browne of the cote d’or. Dujac’s style, fwiw, is also quite distinctive and I think you could argue sometimes trumps terroir, not to say I wouldn’t have bought more of those from these vintages had they been as well priced at the time. Obviously, if there are some the wines don’t speak to that’s fine as well.

Best demonstration of terroir I’ve ever had was going through the range of Fourrier’s 2010s in the cellars. Yes, he has a distinctive style, but it certainly is in addition to rather than instead of the complexities from individual terroirs.

Had the 06 Cherbaudes last Tuesday. Fourrier wines need a decade or two of age to balance out. Also had the 05 Goulot the week before, more elegant than the powerful 06. Stopped buying when the priced hiked from $80 to $90 to I think over $200 now.