TN: 2010 Vincent Dauvissat (René & Vincent) Chablis 1er Cru La Forest

I like to decant most all Dauvissat wines if I can. Even older ones need an hour, and many times more to wake up.

Todd: I’m a Chablis Johnny-come-lately, as you may know, but I do have a mixed case of Sechet, Vaillons and Foret from the 2010 vintage. If I were tempted to pop one tomorrow for Bastille Day (which also happens to be my birthday), would you have a view on which one might be closest to peak?

Vaillons!

sounds like a reason to open them all for a horizontal champagne.gif

I like that!

Henry,

I’d have a hard time disagreeing with William on this.

Hope you guys are having a good summer. Best to Marlene.

+1

Alan,
They were the La Forest. I agree with John Stimson
“2008 is very good but a bit richer and less classic.”
I think a vintage to drink relatively early.
Your bottle was certainly singing.

2014 is ~$135! Liked it at $60.

Analytically, and to my palate, 2008 is very high in acidity as well as concentration, and Vincent regards it as a very classic vintage, as do I. If you are finding bottles forward, richer, and less classic, then you likely have advanced bottles, I’m afraid to say—something that a lot of people have flagged up with this vintage, unfortunately.

at this price and with premox, I’m out. Dauvissat and Ramonet used to be my biggest holdings.

Any thoughts on the 06 Dauvissat Forest? Have an unopened case.

I was served it entirely blind last year and guessed 07 Dauvissat Forest! Which is to say, it tastes more like 10±year-old Dauvissat Forest than it does like 2006 Chablis; which is definitely a good thing. Now is a good time to check in I would say. Depending on how the bottles show I would definitely contemplate a decant, too.

FWIW, I like to give almost all Dauvissat wines 10-15 years from the vintage and still aerate them plenty. Too many are best after two days just sitting in the bottle from opening…with about an inch of wine left. They never quit, in my experience and are mostly caught too closed. I really think 15 years is a minimum, unfortunately.

Also, FWIW, a note from a Sechets 2002 this week, in Maine, with lobsters…
Good wine with lovely aromatics as expected. Salinity and sl oyster stuff on palate long finish of acidic fruit. A wee less concentrated to be a top version

You know, it’s interesting how one can disagree with wine makers (and wine reviewers) about their own wines. 2008 is a very fine vintage with plenty of acid but also plenty of material which makes the wines richer on the palate. I’ve had plenty of 2008’s, both advanced, and pristine. 2007 for me is a more classic vintage, and I generally prefer healthy examples from this vintage to heathy 2008’s, although I certainly would be very happy with either–likely the two best vintages of the decade from this estate.

Brad–for some reason I bought a lot of 2006 Dauvissat, but I’ve never really liked the vintage very much. Sort of blowsy and a little too ripe. But when you feed that in to “Dauvissat” you still get very good wine. I think it’s time to pop your case–the wines are at a nice point in their maturity curve.

Thanks guys. Will start checking them out. Stuart, will keep your comment in mind as well.

The 10 Vaillons was rocking last night. Tight and a little dark (golden) in color on opening. But an hour into the decant it really blossomed, lots of oyster shell minerality and quite rich/structured. A brilliant future ahead I’ve got this case in a very cold corner of my passive cellar and had to move a few boxes to get to this box. I put everything back as it was and promise to let them sleep for a while further

I was iffy on 2006 so only bought a 3-pack. Have had one and it was only OK. Not the acid or minerality I expect from Dauvissat. I would drink them up. This wine may not improve with time.

Hate to add to the pile, but last night for a small dinner party opened a 2010 Forest. Healthy color but significant pre-mox. My first pre-moxed 2010. So now a few 07’s, significant 08, 09, now 2010, and 2011. Prior to 2007 I had very little pre-mox at this estate. I wonder what’s up, and why it hit them so late in comparison with other estates.

Opened a 2010 Dauvissat Sechet tonight that was just perfect. Still tasted really young and had that awesome salinity (almost sweaty) that just sings at around 8-10 years. Best bottle in a while after a string of oxidized 2011s