TN: 2010 Seavey Vineyard Merlot (USA, California, Napa Valley)

• 2010 Seavey Vineyard Merlot - USA, California, Napa Valley (4/4/2014)
    I rarely feel this way about merlot, but this wine has wowed me each of the three times I’ve had it in the last 9 months. I did a pop and pour on this bottle and was instantly taken in by the striking bouquet of ripe dark fruits. Those notes were echoed on the palate, where they’re every bit as alluring and are joined by suggestions of cacao and coffee. There’s adequate acidity and good structure, with a nice weave of youthful tannins on the long, chewy finish. The last glass, 3 hours after the first, had me wishing there was more. Just an incredibly satisfying wine for $45. (94 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Andrew- added Seavey to our visit last year after reading your notes. This Merlot almost stole the show during our visit. One of the best Merlot’s I’ve ever had and a real QPR at $40. Wish I had bought more than a 3 pack. Haven’t touch one since. Sounds like it’s still drinking very nice.

I did pop an 05 Caravina and it was terrific. Another one I wish I had loaded up on. Will have to check some auction sources…

Cheers

I’m a huge fan of the Caravina, too, Fred. It’s a terrific buy at $55 and can often be found for less at auction. I sourced a ton of the '04 via auction over the last few years, as it’s one of my wife’s favorites. We’ve been drinking it pretty steadily and I’m now down to my last bottle at this point. Luckily, I have '05 and '06 waiting in the wings. :slight_smile:

As for the merlot, it’s still quite young but also very enjoyable at this point. I should probably stock up, myself, as I know I’ll be tempted to drink my remaining bottles too soon.

Seavey has an amazing QPR with their merlot and Caravina - for Napa anyway. We drank a bottle of the 2003 merlot last year and at 10 years it was still a baby with wonderful fruit.
It’s also a great visit, if you are ever in the area.

Great to hear. I don’t believe I’ve had any other vintages of their merlot but, based on the structure of the '10, it doesn’t surprise me that well stored bottles could perform like that.

And you’re right about a visit. I liked the Seaveys as much as I liked their wines. We met four members of the family (all hard at work) when we were there last summer and every one of them came off as humble, generous, and entirely welcoming.