TN: 2010 Georges Noellat Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru Les Petits Monts

• 2010 Georges Noellat Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru Les Petits Monts - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru (3/6/2013)
    The young talented Maxime Cheurlin has taken over the running of the family estate from his grandmother starting with the 2010 Vintage. This 0.21 Ha parcel is situated up slope of Richebourg and sandwiched between 1e Crus Aux Reignots and Cros Parantoux. The nose shows of superb depth and purity. On the palate the wine is deep, full-bodied and very pure and elegant, with a sappy core, bright acids and excellent focus and grip on the very long, complex finish. A magical Petits Monts !!! (92 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

This is still wholly a negociant house, right?

Well, the label in the picture says it is a domaine wine.

Lewis,

Isn’t it true that the term “proprietaire recoltant” on the label can mean “owner-operator” as well as “owner-grower”? That’s all I can make out on the label. I didn’t see Coates list Noellat as the owner of any vines in Petits-Monts, but I could be wrong.

Cheers,

Harry

sure seems like a lot of growers have Petits Monts, and it is only a half acre, making about 75-100 cases total. I like the Drouhin version.
alan

Some background in an old thread http://www.wineberserkers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=75478

Clive Coates on Petits-Monts. “Next door, above Richebourg, you will find Aux (or Les) Petits-Monts, very similar to look at, but, at 3.67 ha., quite a bit larger.” So if Clive Coates is correct, that is 9 acres total.

Thanks, Anthony. That’s very helpful. So Georges Noellat indeed has vineyards to farm, including vines in Petit- Monts. Let us hope Maxime can emulate the quality Veronique Drouhin teases out of that site.

That makes more sense. I read the original post wrong, wondering how the vineyard could be so small, but it was just the Noellat parcel. Thanks for the correction.
alan

Grower and ownership profile - Les Petits Monts (3.67 Ha):

Nathalie Vigot – (0.18 Ha).
Denis Thomas – (0.16 Ha).
Comte Liger-Belair – (0.13 Ha).
Thibault Liger-Belair – (0.10 Ha).
Henri Felettig – (0.09 Ha).
Bruno Clair – (0.08 Ha).
Emmanuel Rouget – (0.07 Ha).
Pascal Chevigny – (0.05 Ha).
Francois Gerbet – (0.59 Ha).
Robert Sirugue – (0.46 Ha).
De la Romanée–Conti – (0.41 Ha).
Joseph Drouhin – (0.39 Ha).
Mongueard-Mugneret – (0.30 Ha).
Georges Noellat – (0.21 Ha).
Regis Forey – (0.19 Ha).
Christian Magnien – (0.18 Ha).

According to Meadows’ “The Pearl of the Cote”, the reference standard for this vineyard is Drouhin (which we pretty much knew already), but other top producers include Pascal Chevigny and Robert Sirugue (two producers that I’ve never seen) along with Potel, Mongeard-Mugneret, Jadot, Gambal, Forey and the two Liger-Belairs.

Chevigny owns 0.05 Ha (isn’t that 0.125 acre; or 1/8 about?). How much wine can you make from that?

Also, DRC owns the 0.41 - is it safe to assume that some/all of that goes to/went to Potel?

(edit to add Gambal and Jadot as producers - Jadot, Gambal and Potel make negociant wines per Meadows)

Brrr… it just got a bit shilly in here, or is it me.

Interesting. Someone is selling to Jadot and Le Moine. The only ones I’ve ever seen in addition to those and drouhin are Comte Liger Belair, Mongeard Mugneret, Forey and the above-referenced Noellat. I bet most on that list aren’t producing the wine. Sure would be nice to try a Rouget Petits Monts!!!
A

0.05 hectares is 73’x73’. Pretty soon the vines will be individually owned!

If (as a guess) the vines are 3’ apart, this plot holds 598 vines.