TN 2010 Faustino I Gran Reserva- Ultimate Cellar Defender?

+1

My favorite producer for near-term drinking is Pecina, though they aren’t as easy to find as many others.

I love these wines with age and the 2001 Faustino was a beautiful drink in 2021. Have several of the Tondonia/Bosconia but they are almost too lean/austere for my tastes; maybe just need more time?

I’m in the low-rent district, so cellar defenders are well below $30 for me - Alberdi, Louis Canas are favorites; Caceres Reserva is a decent weeknight wine. I just had my last bottle of Elias Moro Crianza 2012 and here is my note: why don’t I have more of this? Dusty cherry nose with deeper cherry fruit/earthy; delicious and fun to drink.

I now have visions of forumites imitating Monty Python’s French taunter :wink:

For me the concept was a useful one when building up the maturity of my collection. Rather than opening wines way too soon, as I found was consistently happening early on, it is great to have something mature (or already complex and approachable on release). Auction purchases helped serve that purpose, along with a friend who bought / sold wine for a living, but a wine like this would have been a fine choice as well.

Makes sense, Ian,
Thanks for the clarification. In the early days, I did a lot of back filling and the wines I could afford were not very pricey in any case (especially compared to current pricing). Like many of us, I’ve begun harvesting the fruits of my labor–quite a few treats, but also some wines that I would not buy now and may never drink. I was flying a little more blind than you–no friends ITB or really that knowledgeable. I learned a lot from this and other boards.
As they say, its the journey, not just the destination.

Cheers!

1 Like

I’ve only had it a few times, but that is my impression of the wine as well.

I’d add the part in bold and brackets too.

Having said that, there are a lot of good wines from all over at $30, so I don’t think this occupies that unique of a cellar defender spot in the world of wine. That’s no ding on it, there are just a lot of good wines out there.

I’m trying to think if there are any other major bodegas left in Rioja to release their 2010 GR’s?

Is LdH the only one left?

I haven’t seen the 200 Monges hit the shelves yet…