TN: 2010 Domaine Guiberteau Saumur Clos des Carmes Monopole

One of our zoom tasting group poured this recently, it was an outstanding bottle. But I’ve also had at least a couple that were premoxed (or otherwise damaged somehow, but they seemed premox’d to me)

Thanks for mentioning it. I’m hesitant to claim premox with so few data points, but the percentage of bad bottles I know of between Kirk and me is significant, and some bottles being much better than others makes me think it isn’t heat damage. This seems like a wine that should be able to age for a very long time.

Same here, I have not had the Carmes though I’ve had similar issues with the other cuvees. I will no longer buy Guiberteau (no great loss as I realized I didn’t like the wines all that much in the first place).

1 Like

I’ve had one or two of the Breze that seemed too advanced; one was for sure, as evidenced by a much fresher-tasting bottle of the same a few months later.

1 Like

Coincidentally, had a bottle of the 2016 of this at a Loire dinner on Thursday night. It was a replacement for a corked bottle of the 09. The 16 was about the most incredibly reduced bottle of wine I’ver ever encountered. Perhaps the winemaker’s response to the pox issues noted here? Underneath the reduction was a really good wine but I would guess it would take a decade plus to resolve that much sulphur and I’d be a bit worried that it would always taint the wine somewhat.

It’s always very flinty. I’ve never gotten any other sulfur related aromas. I haven’t had the ‘16.

IMO the wines of Thibaud Boudignon are far better and scratch a similar itch.

I’m a fan of his entry-level Anjou; thus far, that’s the only white I’ve tried, but I do have a mixed case of 2019s pending, and with that one I ordered some of the more expensive bottlings.

Update/Correction - the 09 was poxed, not corked…