TN: 2010 Christian Moreau Chablis Les Clos

glad to see all the insights here and to hear from chet also.

Hi Chet - good to hear from you.
Doing well, distancing everything except the cellar - and it’s certainly much tidier now :slight_smile:
I’ve really no idea why the warmer vintages may be more resistant, but funnily enough, I’ve just opened Alex Gambal’s 2006 St.Aubin Dents du Chien, and it’s fabulous. It’s easily besting the excellent Mikulski 2010 Meursault Charmes 1913 from yesterday - which was so good that the two of us emptied the bottle. This 06 Dents was not my favourite when young - overblown and fat - though in those days I anyway bought a case each year - but this is top-notch now!
Re Fèvre, I just ordered a case for ‘daily drinking’ of Fèvre’s 2018 domaine villages - I thought it one of the best villages of my tour this year, and now with DIAM, no problem if some gets lost in the cellar - and it’s still appreciably cheaper than a lot of Bourgogne Blanc…
Re the Clos and Clos des Hospices, I’ve only tasted at the domaine since the 12 vintage, so no experience of their 09s…
Enjoy your Champagne and see you in the old world again when this is all over :slight_smile:

It is strange the difference in some cases between the Fevre Clos (pre-DIAM)and the Fevre Preuses. I had fewer outright premoxed bottles of the Preuses, but like Don, tasted in some cases of a very flat wine. One is tempted to speculate on growing conditions as the difference here given that probably the corks and wine making were the same or similar, but with so many flawed wines, it could be difficult to say too much.

Anyway, I found Bill N’s Fevre vertical very informative. Pretty conclusive as to the efficacy of the DIAM for those who have followed other (GC) Fevre wines…

Otherwise, in keeping with the observation that natural cork is heterogeneous with respect to permeability, the apparently random or at least erratic behavior of the pre-DIAM wines makes sense. Does not rule out the winemaking as a contributor, but the apparent cure provided by DIAM tells you that the closure permeability has to be a key part of this reactive transport process.

——————————
Bill, glad to hear you are well, distancing, and “one” with your cellar… 10’s started out so great but now are all over the place and most not pretty at all. I’ve also had some surprisingly excellent 06 ier crus from PYCM, and Ramonet.
Good to hear about Fevre as Henriot possesses such great vineyards, and that they’ve seriously addressed/ing the pre-mox related issues, as I’d wish so many other addresses would acknowledge and do the same!
I promised Becky and others I’d be visiting “this” Spring, but I’ll refocus for that when appropriate and give you a heads-up to make sure you are around and not traveling or in Switzerland.

“Champagne, the new white burgundy.”

————————-============———-

Alan-

Always checking up on you and Always good to hear from you. I do look forward to our exchanges!

Best to Denise, Elise and your son the “defense” lawyer…

Stay cool!
Stay safe!!
Drink well!

Finally had the opportunity to open a 2010 of this wine, first of three bottles. Apple-ey, very reticent nose, no oxidized components, but very imbalanced and a bit ripe. There is depth on the palate but nothing else. I felt that the wine was advanced, and not appropriate for dinner that night, so capped it off, and opened a 2017 Chablis. Today it’s better, again no oxidized components, good depth and body, and color is actually better, and quite a bit of palate length, but not anything like what a les Clos should be, and a wine that would be very hard to open for any sort of dinner or to serve to any guests. I’ll hold my other two bottles, but not entirely sure that they will turn into anything that would resemble what a top les Clos should be.