TN: 2010 Chantegrive Rouge [Graves]

2010 Chantegrive Rouge [Graves] Drunk on the cold side of 60F, in proper stems, over the course of 4 days. This is yummy stuff. For a variety of reasons, we don’t drink all that much young/newly released red wine around our house, and this is one of the relatively few bottles we’ve consumed almost immediately. So it takes me a while to get used to the vibrancy of this very young effort, but it’s really pleasurable. There is nice balance, and enough lushness that it can be enjoyed plain, without any food accompaniment. If one is expecting Graves typicity – in that that smoky charry character – I didn’t pick up any yet. Perhaps some will emerge with time. For some reason it reminds me of another ripe effort that I also loved in its youth - the 2003 Lillian Ladouys. It has nice legs on the glass, but doesn’t taste syrupy or gooey.

I had a bottle of this about 6 months ago and thought that it was a very good QPR. I ended up purchasing a case of it.

A different POV:

2010 Château de Chantegrive Graves - France, Bordeaux, Graves (3/26/2017)
– decanted 45 minutes before initial taste –
– tasted non-blind on Day 1 and again on Day 3 –

NOSE: more red fruits than I typical find on a Bdx. this young; espresso; cherry cotton candy.

BODY: lots of fine particulate matter present; violet-garnet color of great depth with a little bit of bricking at edges(!); medium to medium-full body.

TASTE: initially, big hole at rear palate; some very fine tannin (not as tannic as I’d expect from a 2010 Bdx); moderately bitter; long finish; not complex; somewhat boring — fine, but boring. Gut impression score on Day 1: 85-88. Even worse on Day 3: No buy.

I ended up liking the 2010 enough that I bought more.

Surprisingly, I didn’t care that much for the 2009.

Good mid week Graves, that can keep well enough.

Thanks for the update, I’ve not had one in a while.

But had a great 1999 Carmes Haut Brion the other weekend, that’s doing very well!

I’ve had a few vintages, picked up a case of 2009 from auction for a song. It’s a great midweek Bordeaux - just let it breathe an hour or two. I see the chateau produces a blanc as well - haven’t tried that yet. I’m always on the lookout for quality inexpensive bordeaux for midweek/ entertaining.

Hi Scott,

Welcome to the board! And thank you for posting. Like you, I’m always on the lookout for a quality Bordeaux that’s relatively cheap (less than $30 is what I’m thinking here). That mission is what led to me picking this bottle off the shelf at the store (as well as some encouraging CT notes). Clearly, this one didn’t tickle my fancy. Buuuuut, a friend did recently introduce me to a wine that absolutely does hit the intended mark for me: 2010 Chateau Haut-Brisson. It’s a St. Emilion. $23 @ Costco. TN forthcoming.

2nd bottle of 2010 Chantegrive rouge [Graves] from a case, popped and poured. It’s still youthful, dark, primary with polite but grippy tannins. This has been kept fairly cold, so is perhaps less evolved than ‘normal’ examples but I’m surprised at how slowly this is evolving. As noted initially, I don’t taste/smell many of the classical markers of the region - char, cigar, smoke etc. - but its still a very tasty, firm earthy wine. I don’t find it glaringly modern or stylistically ‘international’ and there’s a little of bit of the cedar/pencil notes. According to the ‘good’ Jeff Leve, its a newer ‘estate’ cobbled together out of many Graves parcels (sort of like Gloria up in St Julien?) with the 40k production a cepage of equal parts merlot and CS with a third new oak used in elevage.

B+ in my ledger - good juice, at a great price.