TN: 2009 Kutch Pinot Noir McDougall Ranch (USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast)

• 2009 Kutch Pinot Noir McDougall Ranch - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (4/28/2012)
    Beautiful nose. Floral with darker red fruit. The palate is absolutely glorious. A mix of red and darker red fruit. Wonderful mineral notes. Great volume on the palate. The finish goes on. There is good freshness. A little sweetness. Wonderful.

Posted from CellarTracker

i have to agree. i don’t have a lot of experience with the current Pinots of California, but I attended the IPOB tasting here in NYC last week. To my palate, this wine in particular was among the very best – perfect combination of new world sweetness and depth, but totally fresh, balanced, structure, etc. Very classically structured.

Don - was this a P&P or did you give it some air time? Sounds like this is ready to go, but would like your thoughts on upside aging potential? Thanks for the note.

Russ. Pop and pour. Delicious to me. There seems to be plenty of stucture to go a long way here.

Don
Sounds great.

Opened this Friday night and the OP note is right on. Great bottle of wine

Yep,

A fantastic wine…truly a world class pinot.

Don, Thnx for the note. I’ll dig one out, sounds like it is ready to drink. I’ve been drinking the '09 Kutch, TSC blend and it is doing very nicely.

Kutch '09 McDougall- Violets, rose, stone fruits, aged balsamic, medium tannin and acid, cherries, steely fruit, cocoa, wet stone, nice.

Oy.
I was planning to keep my 2 bottles hidden for a few more years…

There was just a hint of “greenness” present so I plan to keep my remaining hidden.

Guess I have to try one of these soon.

Boy I concur Don. What a wine, fresh, ginger bread aromas, red fruit, light mineral spine, full swallow, what a mouthfeel!

I am trying to keep my hands off this particular PN, because I believe it is Jamie’s finest achievement with the grape. I opened one recently with my wife and we were pretty ecstactic with the results. Also had a Savoy recently and it too was gorgeous, but the McDougall is just in another league.

Although very nice now, this will DEFINITELY reward patience and if you only have a few, leave them in the cellar for at least another three years. I’ve had every PN bottling Jamie has produced so far and watched both the evolution and his learning curve closely. 2009 is undoubtedly his finest vintage to date. The McDougall has the stuffing to drink beautifully at 7-10 year of age, without any question and likely will be great in 2020+ too. I remember loving this as a cask sample and it has lived up to expectations, that’s for sure!