TN: 2009 Epoch Estate Wines Zinfandel Paderewski Vineyard

• 2009 Epoch Estate Wines Zinfandel Paderewski Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Paso Robles (10/7/2012)
    From the Paderewski Vineyard, planted in 2004. 15.9% alcohol. So we have a 5th leaf Zinfandel here. But not just any 5th leaf Zinfandel. This one was carefully planted in the steep, rocky, limestone hills west of Paso Robles. Dark ruby red color. Expressive red and black fruit aromas. On the palate, raspberry, cherry, black cherry with pepper and spice. Great purity, focus and concentration. Lacks maybe the depth and complexity of a historic vineyard wine, but this one is a young champion.

This one gets my attention because there have not been that many recent Zinfandel Vineyards planted with this sort of pedigree and care.

Imagine drinking a young Ueberroth Zinfandel, say around 1905. Delicious and fascinating. (92 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Check out the vineyard:

Tasting this was one of the highlights of our trip to Paso Robles last year. Nice note.

What is the mailing list price on this wine?

Thanks, Tom

Mike,
At one time, I’d heard (GaryEberle??) that there were still a few Zin vines from the original Paderewski planting. You know anything
about that, Mike?? Do you know where they got their Zin cuttings for the Paderewski replanting??
Tom

$55

Tom - interesting. I’ll look into it!

You did raise an interesting point - the Paderewski Vineyard was originally planted in the early 20th Century by a renowned pianist. My understanding was that the vineyard was abandoned (possibly after Prohibition?) and the Armstrong’s (Epoch owners) completely replanted Paderewski with the consulting assistance of Justin Smith. Not sure where they got their Zin cuttings.

Justin’s Saxum brand is also making a Zin from this precocious young vineyard.

I wish more wineries published vineyard maps like this…good stuff!

I wonder why no Rousanne was planted?

Epoch has Roussanne planted at their Catapult Vineyard, located near Booker a few miles east from Paderewski. Catapult includes Grenache Blanc, Roussanne, Syrah, Grenache, Mourvèdre, Cinsault, and Tempranillo, planted in 2008.

Check out this Ridge video map, Michael:

https://wineimport.discoursehosting.net/t/totally-cool-video-ridge-vnyds/68044/1

Tom