TN: 2009 Bouchard Père et Fils Volnay 1er Cru Caillerets Ancienne Cuvée Carnot

• 2009 Bouchard Père et Fils Volnay 1er Cru Caillerets Ancienne Cuvée Carnot - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Volnay 1er Cru (4/23/2013)
    We drank this along side a 93 Chevillon 1er Cru tonight which was very very informative. I opened this shortly before leaving for Tilia and decided it needed a quick flash double decant which wasn’t enough to tame the youthful oakiness. This wine shows great balance, a lovely lacy texture and abundant fruit but… but… but, the tasting group consensus is it needs time to resolve the oak. Enjoyable now especially, if you drink it stand alone and not side by side with a more fully realized mature Burg. Probably 10yrs to really start to show its stuff but at least 3-5yrs. I plan to buy more based on the sound material but won’t touch the next btl for at least 3-5yrs. (92 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

For me, Bouchard Caillerets always delivers. Just great stuff.

Ok, so there was wine. But we’re really more interested in the food at Tilia :wink:

The 2007 has been drinking very nicely the past couple of years. It is really elegant. It also shows the oak but I think it’s more integrated than this sounds. I have a few 2009s and have thought about it, but my current plan is to wait a fair bit before opening. Maybe 10 years as you say.

Craig, drinking this side by side with a '93 Chevillon made the oak standout more than it otherwise might have but either way its definitely a bit a out front, right now. That said its not an oakcicle by nature, just very young yet. It occurs to me that it would not standout very much standalone or with other young Burgs.

Yep, this is my favorite local restaurant. Love everything they do but especially the meatballs and “fish taco”. Look us up next time you’re in town Alan.

Recently picked up some '05. Will this also require another 6-7 years to start showing it’s best?

Whether a Burg of this caliber is oaky or not, it still requires 10+ years to START showing it’s best.
BTW, the 2005 version is NOT too oaky.
So your range of 6-7 more years seems reasonable…

TTT

Thanks Testy. I’ve started to slide down that very steep, dark and slippery slope. However, my age is going to require me, for the most part, to focus on older vintages. I’m screwed. pileon hitsfan