TN: 2008 VCC and 2005 Baumard QdC

• 2005 Domaine des Baumard Quarts de Chaume - France, Loire Valley, Anjou-Saumur, Quarts de Chaume (6/22/2016)
    Thanks to Cole Kendall and a few others, I discovered the wines of Baumard awhile back. Unfortunately I seldom get to drink QdC. Expressive nose displaying mango, yellow peach jam, apricot, honey, copper and candied ginger. Exceptional concentration, dense yet precise palate, good acidity and strong presence of mineral and long finish. It still is all about the fruit as this particular bottle doesn’t show much petrol. This is absolutely delicious. (96 pts.)
  • 2008 Vieux Château Certan - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, Pomerol (6/22/2016)
    Last June I wrote “It is kind of stupid to open any top Bordeaux at age 7.” I either didn’t learn the lesson or curiosity got the best of me once again. Pop and pour, very subdued nose displaying ripe black fruits, dust and mineral. With air, the nose opens up slightly, blackberry concentration (blackberry jam but it seems to carry a negative connotation for some), chocolate dipped cherry, espresso, caramel, and a hint of cedar and ash. Medium concentration, very polished and silky palate, nicely layered fruits, strong presence of mineral, bright acidity, very fine tannins and seamless long finish. The fruit is quite ripe but the bright acidity and sensual palate provide nice balance and purity. This is a classic polished Pomerol. This will require at least five more years still but more like ten. It reminds me a bit of Clos Rougeard with cedar, caramel and fine dust. Very promising but I highly recommend to cellar for another five years minimum. (94 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Thanks for advice ref VCC

Cole organized a Baumard vertical for one of my visits to DC about thirteen years ago, with the QDC going back to '62. It was a great evening. Can’t say I’ve ever had a Chenin show petrol, though.

Thanks for the notes, Kevin; I’ve got a single bottle of VCC, the '98; I think Jeff Leve recommended waiting on it, but I’ll have to open before too long (I’m not getting any younger).

I don’t get petrol notes in Quarts de Chaume (Riesling, yes), but there’s often something that I describe as a lactic flavor about them, for want of a better term; it might have something to do with botrytis, but, whatever, I often taste it in these wines.

May be not quite petrol but oyster shell/burnt sugar/copper/mineral as they as age.