TN: 2008 Two Hands Cabernet Sauvignon Charlie's Patch (USA, California, Napa Valley)

• 2008 Two Hands Cabernet Sauvignon Charlie’s Patch - USA, California, Napa Valley (9/14/2012)
    First, let me provide objective evidence. We popped ond poured this Friday night after returning from a gala dinner at the Johnson Museum of Art at Cornell as part of the NYS Bar Association Business Law Section Fall Meeting. There were three others, none of whom are wine fanatics, but all of whom have more than a passing interest in wine. The first word uttered by one of them was “wow.” So that puts it in the over 90 points category in my scoring method. And I think it was well-deserved. Other comments included “best red wine I ever had” and “I have to keep coming to these conferences because you always bring great wine” and “I normally hate red wine but this is great.”

I can see how people who prefer thin, insipid wines with limited flavor and overbearing acidity caused by the inability to ripen the grapes will not like this wine. I, on the other hand, bemoan the breakup of the relationship between Messrs. Twelftree and TR Brown, which means that 2008 is the last vintage of this wine. Sometimes when two geniuses collide, they shed great light in a supernova, and then go dark. That is what happened here. There is a cascade of red and dark fruit flavors, spice and chocolate, with an extremely round and smooth mouth feel that could best be described as powerful and erotically sexy at the same time. Explosions in your mouth. The nose is strong red fruit and the color is dark wine red, almost getting to black. The finish is very long and goes on and on. For those who worry about how the lack of acidity means this wine will not drink well in 20 years, my answer is that I drank it on the eve of my 61st birthday and I do not care if I will be able to drink it on my 81st. My bottles will all be long gone. They deliver way too much pleasure now to hide them away in the deep recesses of your cellar for 10 or 15 years. And besides, I seem to recall that the 1947 Cheval Blanc had a very high ph, so maybe acidity is not all it’s cracked up to be on the issue of aging. (93 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Awesome note, Mr hack. Sometimes you just gotta grin and be happy with what’s in the glass and this one always delivers. I agree about the acidity/fruit thing too.
With about 39 assorted Charlie’s/Some Days in my cellar, you can certainly count me as a fan.

This was a ridiculous qpr at $40. These are drinking well now, and will last for at least another 5 years. I have drank through all but 1 of mine, can’t keep hands off. Nice note, jay.

I actually deliberately “lost” mine in my cellar so I’ve only had two or three of the ones I bought. If I could get more at $40 each, I would buy every one I could lay my hands on.

fixed

Decided to pop one of these in honor of my birthday. It’s my first TRB wine and most definitely will not be my last. Even as a pop-n-pour, this is explosively good. Can’t wait to get back to it in a few hours! Just wish I’d bought more when I had the chance.

We opened a Some Days are Diamonds last week and this wine was fantastic. To think that I picked this up for $20 on WTSO.