TN: 2008 Roses de Jeanne / Cédric Bouchard Pinot Blanc Champagne Blanc de Blancs La Bolorée

Frank Murray III and Otto Forsberg both have CT notes on the wine that sound pretty positive

1 Like

And for a good reason, it was a lovely example of PB Champ!

Never had the Bouchard bottle to compare it to, though.

Anyone grab the Gerbais from the Benchmark bin sale? ($55)

He (Cedric) emphasized it pretty strongly at an in-person tasting about 7 years ago, when he asked if we liked the wine (the Boloree). We said “yes” (of course) and his response was “Do you want to try a TRULY spectacular wine? Pour this into the decanter and drink it tomorrow or the next day after the bubbles have gone. The bubbles simply get in the way of making this a great wine.” (I put his comments in quotation marks, though obviously this is just my paraphrasing and best recollection of his remarks. However, he made several other comments about how he felt still wine was superior to Champagne, and even allowed us to taste several of his own non-sparkling wines from Champagne. So if HE thinks it’s being “over-emphasized”, it’s either because he’s changed his view OR misunderstands how shocking it is (naturally) for a winemaker to criticize the most famous and well-known aspect of the type of wine he’s chosen to make…

It wasn’t “he” that I was referencing but rather one of our own here.

As a side note, see if you can run down a bottle of the Etienne Calsac Revenants. About half of that wine is Pinot Blanc. Knowing you both, I bet you have had the wine already but it’s terrific and the PB really comes through.

1 Like

Tried it about a year ago:

• NV Etienne Calsac Champagne Les Revenants - France, Champagne (6/19/2021)
    This wine is 50% Pinot Blanc, 43% Petit Meslier and 7% Arbane (!). It pours straw yellow, with loads of melon and green apple on the nose. It’s very different that a lot of champagnes I drink, showing a little with a lot of lemon curd and lemon candy all over the sides of the tongue and a small amount of the same green apple hitting center. This is a fun bottle, it’s unique but serious. I think it will be better in 2-3 years, but happy to have tried it out.

Posted from CellarTracker

My read was that it had good potential but the bottle I had just needed more time. Good reminder to revisit!

This wine continues to BLOW ME AWAY! Very short list as my all time favorite Champagne…and it’s not even of the classic varietal! Such uniqueness in flavors and feel…my original note is still spot on…yet this bottle is showing more mouth coating pillow soft and leesy mousse than before…the lemon and tangerine squeeze is electrifying…like a 20 piece band at full throttle! Such exotics of tropical/orchard fruits in perfect ripeness and pucker…viscous of evoo drizzled on toast, sprinkled with sea salt minerality…fresh flowers and honey…SO fresh and mesmerizing I can’t stand it! Too bad these are pretty much unattainable now. Just WOW…

6 Likes