TN: 2008 Joseph Drouhin Clos St. Denis

• 2008 Joseph Drouhin Clos St. Denis - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Clos St. Denis Grand Cru (1/19/2011)
    I am just loving this Grand Cru more and Morey. Pop and pour this young wine. It is pure. I don’t know if this translates well, but many of the last wines from Morey have had a quality that I can only describe as ‘Morey cherry tar’. And this wine has it in spades. It is deep, and yes it is young, but it is a tremendous wine. The cheerful young reddish cherries are bristling with power. There is also an interesting blackness to this wine that I need help defining. Not so much like black riesling, a term Tanzer or David S. has used, but more like black cherry asphalt. But it has nothing like heat or petroleum that one would associate with asphalt, but just a hint of that lingering aroma/feel of new tar with young fresh cherries splattered on it… What a wine this will be in quite a few years. (95 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Me want!!!

It was really good! I have taken two very young Clos St Denis for the proverbial ‘team’ this year. Man, they were both really awesome. The other was a rocking Potel 2005.

I don’t think Ive ever had a Drouhin CSD but I think I’ll get some for sure based on your note.

Thanks for the note Charlie.

The more 08’s I try the more I like them and find those fresh (almost tart) cherries in many of the wines.

Best Regards
Jeremy

The tag-line, ‘I’m loving this Grand Cru more and Morey!’, is a Jeremy Holmes inspired phrase.

you don’t see many CSD wines–Dujac makes a great one.
alan

CSD is a complex vineyard. There’s a lot to say about it – much more than I want to say here tonight. Dujac has about 20%; G. Lignier has even more but much of it is sold to negociants, I believe. That doesn’t leave much else for the rest, especially when compared to Clos de la Roche, which is nearly three times as large, and the overall lineup of producers for CSD is not as strong as for CDlR.

Thanks for the note on this Charlie. This is one wine from 2008 I hope to buy at some point.