TN: 2008 Jérôme Chezeaux Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru Les Suchots

• 2008 Jérôme Chezeaux Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru Les Suchots - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru (8/2/2012)
    Beautiful detail, proportion and balance. The nose draws you in with alluring smells of cherry, pomegranate, cranberry and violets. The fruit is crunchy with a touch of creaminess and the wine is rocky with a light as a feather touch. There’s a tart whip of acidity on the back-end and it finishes with a torrent of geological matter.

Posted from CellarTracker

Thanks for the note,
Question if you don’t mind… Do you have a lot of experience with Chezeaux’s wines?
Galloni went nuts over them and I get a sense that these wines are broader and denser than many, I’m trying to get a idea of the house style.

Thanks

Thanks for the note Jeremy! I’d also love to hear your more indepth thoughts about Chezeaux.

As far as my own experiences go, his wines seem to be elegant, finely perfumed and light-on-their-feet in style. Oak is on the low side and these are not the biggest examples of their vineyards, but show a strong terroir character that I really love. I’ve only had the 2009 Suchots and most of the 2010 line up, so my comments are based on these. The Vosne Suchots seems to be his best wine, but at least in 2010 the Chaumes and the village Vosne were terrific also (and inexpensive compared to many other examples). I have really loved the wines I’ve tasted and am looking forward to have more in the future.

Best,
Good to know V, thanks for the info, based on Galloni I gathered these were a bit bigger, it’s good to hear they are more ‘elegant’ in style.

The wines are sold by Rosenthal in the US, so that should give an indication of style. Thought this explained a lot from their site:
“Jérome Chézeaux strictly follows the most traditional of methods in the cellar being firmly “non-interventionist”. The purity of his wines is revelatory; there is an understated majesty to every offering in the portfolio.”

The 2008s are much leaner than the 2009s. They really need to be left alone.

Good to know. PC recently blew out in stock mags of the 09 Vosne Chaumes and an NSG I believe, for $69.99.

Galloni did go nuts over them and I’m a bit confused why.
I wouldn’t describe the style there as broad or dense at all. Probably the opposite is true. They often strike me as kind of empty and vacant. Recent vintages do seem a little richer though.

Stylistically I would say the wines are pretty classic. A good parallel might be Domaine de l’Arlot or possibly even Chevillon. The wines are not light if that means Mugnier or Mugneret-Gibourg to you, for example, nor heavy it that means Dugat or Dugat-Py, but somewhere in the middle. In the best wines I find notable transparency and weight without excess heaviness.

This was my first one, I liked it very much and will be buying more.

Antonio,
Thank you for the response, I have tried to find some tasting notes or info besides what you have written so thank you for clarifying the house style.

Good thread. I have been looking for some additional notes on them. Anyone try the 2009 Jérôme Chezeaux Nuits St. Georges 1er Cru Rue de Chaux ? Few notes on CT are promising. Looking to try this one and the Suchots.

Hmm. Ive ever considered Mugneret-Gibourg light. There wines are pretty oppulent (in a good way) compared to most producers I drink

Has anyone had the 12 or has seen Ag note ? Interested how approachable this might be right now before it closes down. Nothing in CT

Cheers

I have had the NSG Boudots and the Vosne Chaumes 2012. Cheap, friendly but, on these specific experiences, I would go with Keith (lacking) rather than Antonio. But obviously quite young and I have no idea how they will develop. Had a Boudots Potel 2006 tonight…vastly superior…but comparison unfair as this is 6 years older.