TN: 2008 Dublère - Volnay 1er Cru Taillepieds (France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Volnay 1er Cru)

2008 Domaine Dublère Volnay 1er Cru Taillepieds - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Volnay 1er Cru (11/13/2017)
– popped and poured –
– tasted non-blind over a few hours –

NOSE: red-fruited with some slightly smoky earthiness; tight out of the gate.

BODY: garnet core with slight bricking throughout; color is of light to medium-light depth; medium-light bodied.

TASTE: developing; quite smooth; spice on the front palate; fruits mostly occupy the red-fruit spectrum (red currants); acidity is medium+ (not shrill); hint of funk; 13% alc. can be tasted a very little bit; delicate, with moderate power; good pairing with seared pork chops and a chanterelle mushroom/caramelized onion risotto; both Ashley and I think this is near peak, if not at peak. Drink Now and over the next few years.

50, 5, 12, 16, 7 = (90 pts.)

sounds great brian. i have been underwhelmed by 08s recently. i loved them on release.

[cheers.gif]

I continue to adore '08’s — both for their vintage style and for their pricing. This was low level excellent, but wasn’t at the level of some others I’ve had from the vintage; for $40, however, I am not complaining.

I feel like Chambolle may have done especially well in 08’, also seems a good year to seek out the upper level stuff at reasonable rates. End of next year I’d like to do a 10 year retrospective.

I also bit on this Envoyer offer ; )

If you have 3 or more, Robert, you should definitely take one for a spin. Mine was 1 of 2, and I perceive no need to let that other one last any longer than 5 more years.

p.s.: Saturday’s Flannery arrived today. [dance-clap.gif]

I have some of this. I’m still a big 08 fan and believer. I’ll pop one soon.

thanks for the report, Brian. i have some as well. I don’t have track record on Dublere’s wines, but for most producers’ Taillepieds, I wouldn’t be thinking that they would be on the downside any time soon within the next 15-20 years. I had a bottle about 2 years ago, pleasant, a little restrained, still very primary. my take was to wait about 5 years for the next try.

I think 2008’s are going to be just fine. to judge them at 9-10 years as being underwhelming is a bit harsh and premature. some wines are coming around, but some are appropriately holding back, just as with almost any other burg vintage. I bet a 15year retrospective on 2008’s will make us wonder why we didn’t load up.

thanks Brian. I had a bottle of the '08 Beaune 1er Cru Les Blanches Fleurs a couple of nights ago. It was quite similar to how you describe the Taillepieds.

Would agree on the 15-20 years post vintage being more appropriate to fully judge the vintages heavy weights, such as good GC’s and top tier 1er’s. I’m also a big fan of the 13’s, and look forward comparing the two vintages down the road.

I hope you’re right, John. And I, for one, am not waiting to load up on '08s. They are right in my wheelhouse price-wise and personality-wise. [cheers.gif]

i agree that the 08s should be fine down the road. wedding year, i went all in. my samples in the last couple of months (angerville champans, ponsot cldr, thibault l-b vr aux reas, roumier bussiere, etc.) were meh… as you said, appropriately holding back perhaps. but i have no doubt the sun will shine another day.

[cheers.gif]

c-p style robert? we should go to seattle and open justin’s 08s. i know that man also cornered the 08 bdx 1st [wow.gif]

[cheers.gif]

Sounds like something to plan Ed. I have a few 08’ Bdx, and would def lean right bank at ten years, and of course mix in some Burgs. Had the 08’ Ponsot CdlR some years ago btw, I think it’s on the 20 year plan!

While most people posting in response have focused on the vintage, my guess is that you should (as Brian and Jeremy have done) be focusing on the producer. Blair makes very pure, elegant wines. The wines don’t always do well in big tastings because they are big and showing. But by themselves and over the course of a bottle, these are really elegant wines.

Howard, I think we just used the wine and note to discuss things on our minds related to vintage. Good on you to show some love to the producer though, agreed on that.

Certainly, anyone can and should discuss what they like. But there have been excellent or better wines produced in every vintage since 2005. This is not the 1970s.