TN: 2008 Domaine Weinbach Riesling Schlossberg Cuvée Ste. Catherine

• 2008 Domaine Weinbach Riesling Schlossberg Cuvée Ste. Catherine - France, Alsace, Alsace Grand Cru AOC (4/6/2015)
    It’s been a while since I have had a white wine that has really grabbed my full attention, and boy did this Riesling deliver. The palate impact was immediate and penetrating, citrus juices (predominately lemon) work their way into all the nooks and crannies of the mouth, leaving a powdered, stony residue in its wake. The palate weight conveys a rich and luxurious feel to the proceedings but no actual sweetness is tasted, a trait that this Domaine is so skilled at producing. The acidity is strong but so evenly spread out that it avoids as coming across as aggressive, in fact, I’d say elegant is the more apt adjective. Long and very impressive on the finish. This is still a very young wine, and I hazard a guess will continue to develop gracefully for another decade and hold perhaps another 10 years after that. Superb. (94 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Dale,

Great note. I can still remember having an mini-epiphany moment when I happened to order a half bottle of the 2000 off the wine list at Canlis perhaps a decade ago and wondered what I had stumbled on to. Such an elegant yet taut and energetic wine year to year.

Cheers,
Doug

Doug,

My mini Weinbach epiphany was at the Herb Farm in 2005, a black miso cod with a 02 Cuvee Laurence Gewurtz, just spectacular. Your note on the 05 from while back had me motivated to crack a Schloss Cathy, but to keep my last two 05’s for a few more years, hence I pulled the 08 out. BTW - It looks like the 13 could be a very strong rendition of this wine and worth seeking out.

Dale,

Sounds good. Will be on the lookout.

Cheers,
Doug

All this talk is making my knees feel weak. I have four bottles and a half-bottle left of the 2005. Terrific wine, and I’m doing my best to leave them alone for another few years, but you’re making it difficult!