TN: 2008 Domaine Dublère Volnay 1er Cru Taillepieds

• 2008 Domaine Dublère Volnay 1er Cru Taillepieds - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Volnay 1er Cru (10/9/2013)
    Followed this one over 2 nights. Poured out a very pale hue in the glass, but the color did gain in intensity after a couple of hours. This bottle took about 1.5-2 hours to get going, and once it did it was a tasty, textbook Volnay. Elegant, strawberry fruited and lacy. Went great with a roast chicken dinner. May have to seek a few more of these out.

Posted from CellarTracker

Glad to hear of a 2008 that hasn’t shut down. Maybe I shouldn’t give up hope yet after all :slight_smile:

I loved the 2008 Dubleres.

Excellent wine.

I really like that wine. Thanks for the note Rick.

RJ, good work. I went and checked and I got one of these left. I had a bottle of this earlier in the year and think it can age nicely for longer so if you find more, I’d vote you can acquire and rest a few and then enjoy. Miss seeing you, RJ. Say hi to your wife, too.

• 2008 Domaine Dublère Volnay 1er Cru Taillepieds - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Volnay 1er Cru (2/10/2013)
    Opened a couple nights ago, left in the bottle as I drained it down but it was not decanted. I enjoyed this, the gentle flavors and the nice tart edges. it’s not going to be deemed as all that complex but the cherry fruit forms a good core, along with a bit of strawberry, and even some plum skin. A little earthy note in the finish, along with a good kick of tartness. I really enjoy acid in my wines and I like the sour cherry aspect of the finish, it gives it good life. Pretty good balance here too, and with the acid, this wine seems suited to age longer, so I’ll hold my last bottle for another 3 years. Paid $40 for this, very nice deal for 1er burg.

Posted from CellarTracker

Wow, you guys are impatient. I tried one a couple of years ago, and was a little underwhelmed. Nonetheless the wine is clean and well made, and this is a fine vineyard that has knack for being underwhelming early, so I chalked it up to that. It’s also a vineyard that often takes longer to come around than most volnay vineyards. so I was planning to put it away for at least another 5-7 years. Luckily I have you guys to keep trying it for me in the meantime! (not dissing you guys for doing this, but after years of getting impatient and drinking many of these wines early, I found that I really do prefer them later (10-15 years and on) in most vintages.)

Agree with your note Rick. This wine is not for those seeking out density but is ethereal, lacy and light with plenty of perfumed nuance.

FMIII - miss seeing you as well…we’ll have to find a date on the calendar and pull some corks one of these days. This was my third of 4 bottles purchased, and this one showed far better than the last which I drank in January 2011, and I see no hurry on these. Should be quite nice with a bit more sideways-time.

John - unfortunately I’ve only been in the Burgundy game since the 2004/5 vintage releases, so I don’t have a cellar full of mature burgundy sitting “in the zone” like I wish I did. Something’s got to get a cork pulled on it, and this was just the poor bottle that caught my eye and interest. I’ll say it surprised with how well it drank, but no doubt it will be best with 10-15 years of age for my palate as well. [cheers.gif]

I found this lacking but the 2006 Volnay Pitures had much better palate presence and showed beautifully with an hour or two of air.

Save a couple and buy some other cellar protectors.

I have some 09 and 10, but I’ve thought Taillepieds was a Volnay to age.