TN: 2008 Bonneau du Martray Corton Charlemagne

I appreciate the optimism! Might seek out a few…

Haven’t followed BdM for quite some time now, so this is nice to hear.

I went through a 6 pack of the 2004 starting in 2012, and just drinkin the last in aug…just about every bottle, including the very first, smelled like it was poxed upon pulling the cork. With air, they ALL brightened up, and those baked apple and sherry nuances integrated dramatically, and all bottles were amazing…totally 2004…and enjoyable.
I wonder how many quickly call POX out the gate, and totally miss out on a great wine??

Hi Reece,

Here is my note on the '84 from 3 year’s ago: A really nice showing. There’s some white mushroom and toasty development on the nose. It has rich white peach fruit and a line of sharp acidity. With food it drinks well.

The BdM’s of the '80’s were particularly good. As William notes, the '85 is still as tight as a drum, as is the '88. The '86 is awesome, quite exotic. I’ve had a couple of splendid bottles of '82. I even had a very serviceable bottle of '87.

Best Regards
Jeremy

'17, '18 and '19 may all be very good, but are they worth 3-4 x the price of the 2010? I’m not a buyer.

1 Like

Thanks Jeremy, most appreciated. Not sure if this has been stored perfectly so may have to open a bottle to check them out.

Reece, apologies if I’ve mistaken your identity, but your estimates on Ramonet, including the 2002 Montrachet, are absurd imho. There’s a decent 30-50% chance they are undrinkable, and no right of return. Though I’m sure someone in Auckland who has just made another $500k on their house will probably take the gamble :slight_smile:!

My experience with his 1997 and 1998 were exactly similar to yours with his 1996.

Those two are absolute beauties!

Rauno, the Reserves and Estmates on these were set by the vendors. However, they have been stored incrediably well and I would be surprised if the 2002s were out of condition. The other vintages we have again Reserves set by the vendors and have come from cellars that we get a lot of wine from with no issues. Just as a point of interest the 2002 Ramonet Montrachet lowest price in retail is over NZ$5000 (in bond and excluding taxes) so I think our NZ$2000 was pretty reasonable and it sold to a very grateful buyer who told us it was a fantastic bottle of wine.

What have they done to address the issue?

doubled the price and brought DRC in to help w winemaking. As for premox, I don’t know.

I’m glad it was a fantastic bottle, Reece. If one knew beforehand that it’s one of those (fantastic bottles) then it makes the value equation work a lot more easily :wink:! Ramonet haven’t covered themselves in glory re premox, and then there’s the vagaries of storage, provenance etc on top of that. But obviously my opinions and risk tolerance have no bearing on actual pricing for high-end Burgundy at auction, and that’s all fine.

Pretty much everything! I’ll try to remember to post tomorrow.

Don’t think DRC are involved in the winemaking, though of course there is a relationship there. They leased vineyards to DRC, however.

something beside price needs to rub off!

https://www.instagram.com/p/CLSojvCLexi3iSg2L_ESLJtj1WKAfIK2G7temE0/

Just had a 91 tonight - fresh and energetic like a 10 year-old. When they are on, they are fire.

Anyone had the 14 lately?

man, you like young wine! I thought I was baby killing this 08.

I mean, I also don’t like premox lol