TN: 2007 Terry Hoage Vineyards Picpoul Blanc Hangtime (USA, California, Central Coast, Paso Robles)

• 2007 Terry Hoage Vineyards Picpoul Blanc Hangtime - USA, California, Central Coast, Paso Robles (8/16/2009)
    Popped and poured, enjoyed over 3 hours. If you like lemondrops you will love this wine. Tart, acidic, refreshing, plenty of zing to offset lovely fruit. A wonderful summer drink.

Posted from CellarTracker

It amazes how many wines are out there that I’ve never heard of! Is Picpoul a varietal???

It’s a Rhone variety that maintains high acidity in warm growing regions and, like grenache blanc, tends to show minerality. We opened a brown-bagged bottle of this wine last harvest during one of our “mystery wine” break. With the freshness and acidity, it was a surprise that it was a white from Paso.

-Al

…and this is why i love this place, learn something everyday!

Zach,

I think that there are only two other producers in California that bottle a 100% Picpoul Blanc, those being Lone Madrone & Tablas Creek. It’s a very refreshing wine that I’d recommend seeking out.

I am a fan of Terry’s wines. I wonder how long these whites will hold up? Any thoughts?

Loren,

I enjoy his wines a great deal. All have been wonderfully balanced with great minerality and sense of place.

I think these wines can hold up for a few years. Unfortunately they are so good that I’ve drank all of my 2007’s!