TN: 2007 Shafer Cabernet Sauvignon One Point Five

• 2007 Shafer Cabernet Sauvignon One Point Five - USA, California, Napa Valley, Stags Leap District (11/29/2014)
    Decanted. Clear, deep garnet color. Glass coating. Clean aromas, medium intensity. Mostly secondary aromas of blackcurrant & boysenberry fruit, graphite, cedar, melted rock, dried lavender- still developing and tight. Dry on the palate with medium acid and high tannins, medium+ alcohol and full body. Concentrated flavor notes of blackberry and redcurrant fruit, clove, espresso, tea leaf and violets. Expressive and rich, showing good balance, mostly integrated oak, nice supporting acid, and full depth. Weighty on the palate with big silky ripe tannins. Finishes dry with moderately long length. Drink/hold. (92 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Thanks. I loved this wine on release. I still liked it but less so with the last bottle. I have one left that I think I will wait a bit on.

Thanks for the note on the '07. My more recent vintages of Shafer cab are likely to rest a while longer, but I had the 2002 version (before the ‘One Point Five’ monicker) last night and it was in great form. If anyone has any in the cellar, they’re ready to go.

While it was a big extracted Cab, I was really happy with the balance of flavor. Being nitpicky, the nose wasn’t as intense as the rest of the wine, and the finish didn’t match the depth of the mid-palate, however those things could change with more time. The structure is definitely there. It was very enjoyable.

Good to hear that! I managed to find a few bottles at a rock bottom price a few months back, and I’ve been trying to figure out when to drink them!