TN: 2007 Scherrer Winery Cabernet Sauvignon Alexander Valley

Brian, Paul but if you go to the Scherrer website you’ll see that there are indeed three different cabs, however when you look at the Specifications for each one all of the fruit comes from the Scherrer Vineyard just different sections with different rootstock.

Thanks for the clarification Roger…

There is definitely a difference between the three Scherrer cabs, despite the fruit all coming from the same place. The vineyard designated wine is a solid step up, for my palate, from the other two. It’s an excellent wine and one that can improve in the cellar for 15+ years.

Thanks Roger!
089A8594-33A0-4145-B96D-8D729AAEF62F.jpeg

Even as a joke, I find this disturbing as people generally gloss over the surface of a subject and make judgments based on no real information. It invalidates what I’m working so damn hard to execute.

Fact: The cabs are from the property owned by our family. The soils and rootstock vary and the resulting wines are different. I put them into separate cuvees according to their best destiny. The top wine, Scherrer Vineyard, is the part that speaks uniquely of the site. The AV bottling speaks of the region more than the site. When there is a part or two that don’t happen to fit perfectly into either of the two AND are delicious, I simply call it Sonoma County (maybe 1 in 4 vintages).

I must not be communicating this very effectively and will consider how to be better at it.

Right now, I have our 2019 cabs on skins, coasting thru their post-fermentation maceration, gelling and revealing their personalities. While I don’t do a lot of analysis and do not really base decisions upon numbers, the areas that are the core of the Scherrer Vineyard bottling have at least 1 g/L higher density at dryness than the AV areas. Usually, the pH of the AV lots is lower. However, this year the pH’s are more similar (may be rainfall related). The density difference remains consistent.

It is also a bit discouraging to hear that despite even Robert Parker writing that the best sites in AV are equal to the best sites in Napa, there is a glass ceiling for pricing on AV cabs, despite the quality.

F

Good to see you on here, Fred. I definitely need to branch out and try your Pinots and Syrahs, but I love what you do with Cab and Zinfandel. I interacted a bit with Judi yesterday re: the library sale and was reminded again what a pleasure it is to be one of your customers.

Fred, I apologize for the joke, the conversation just reminded me of a classic Simpsons moment.

Thanks for taking time to explain. I love your wines and have been buying directly from you for a number of years now.

Chris,

Thanks. I get the joke too. I have heard a lot of that stuff goes on in the wine industry. But not in this case.

F