TN: 2007 Philippe Pacalet Pommard (France, Burgundy, Côte de

• 2007 Philippe Pacalet Pommard - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Pommard (7/17/2010)
    Dark ruby. Potent, immediate nose of blue fruits, violets, iodine, earth. Crunchy, multi-layered palate with black cherry, blueberry, and raspberry fruit energized by tart acidity. Tannins structured but buried by primary fruit. Moderately long, zingy finish. Entertaining wine, youthful and loaded for the future. (89 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

I met him briefly a couple years ago. He’s quite a character and a bit of a hipster darling. Although “natural wine”-wise, I’m not sure “I knew it when I tasted it”, the 06 version was quite good too.

RT

Richard,

Interesting. I had heard he was opinionated and into noninterventional methods also. The proprietor of the shop where I picked this bottle up (Terroir, San Francisco) told me that M. Pacalet uses no forklift to move his barrels into position for aging the wine but rather rolls the barrels manually so as to emulate traditional practice as much as possible.

FWIW, the wine was certainly very fresh and vivid, with no discernible oak notes - quite impressive for a village wine. I’d like to find some 06’s also.

Best,
Doug