TN: 2006 Taittinger Comtes de Champagne

Have some, but mostly waiting for 2008.

champagne.gif

There were people (notably Alan and Merril) sounding an alarm about bottle variation from the beginning. My bottles have ranged from very good to great so I’m not complaining. Looking forward to tryin the 07 at la fete to see if I want to buy.

I’ve opened 3-4 and they’ve all been great.

Mine were quite good to outstanding. There is a lot of room in there. (And thank you, Jay, for receiving and addressing my posts as a wine lover and not as a producer).

I started a thread recently about 8 Taittingers and a Burgundy (the stuff of dreams), where I desribe briefly MY take on the difference between the 2006 and the 2007.

How was it?

Also curious to hear, from those who have had less good bottles, where they were sourced

it’s all about the company in which you drink it

Had a few on release and enjoyed them thoroughly. Last bottle in April was very good. All of these consumed in France.

That was a nice dinner. When are you next coming up to the Bay Area so I can return the favor ;p

I like it and have purchased twice, but only sampled from the first box. My wife thinks it has a pez-y edge to it and says “meh”. I open when I can share it with the neighbors now. Time may sway my wife’s opinion, but there are other things she likes in the cellar.

Cheers,
fred

You guys are killing me!!! Can you PLEASE name the importer on your bottles, note Euro or domestic, and if the juice was good or not? I need to know for personal and scientific reasons…thank you! [cheers.gif]

All of my bottles are euro bottles without any importer strips on the bottles. Purchased from MacArthur’s so likely a direct import. All have been consistently good.

Different strokes. I’ve opened a dozen of these, acquired from multiple sources, since my first bottle in July of '16. Subjectively, each was spectacular save one, which was still good. There’s a better chance it was palate variation rather than bottle variation. I’ve either been lucky or easy to please. Each time, I get vivacious lemon and orange, brioche and cream, but it’s the texture, minerals and balance that keep me coming back. I’ve barely touched my few '02s and '04s as the '06 is so precocious. I’ll purchase what '08s I can afford, taste one then lay the rest down.

Cheers,
Warren

I just checked - my first bad bottle (which was obtained from K&L Dec 2015) was imported by Kobrand, which is in line with your experience (i.e. Kobrand bad, Euro good) and Brian’s

My bottles are all from kirkcrest.

My back labels say “Wein Wolf.”

This turned out to be an excellent bottle.

Euro or domestic? Importer?

No idea, not my bottle. But Jay Winton, who brought it, posts here and maybe he’ll check in.

I’ve had a couple of excellent bottles from my own stash, purchased at MacArthur’s. I’ll check the labels on the remaining bottles tomorrow, but MacA’s does a lot of direct importing.

Thanks David and the 89 Montrose you brought was no slouch either! Yes, the Comtes lived up to my expectations and came from Dan Posner at Grapes purchased mid 2016 says Cellar Tracker. It is young and vibrant with bracing acidity so can only improve.

My bottles, which have also been excellent though young, were bought from MacArthur’s (a direct importer I think) and have the green tax stamp on the top of the bottle indicating a gray market wine. No importer label. The back just has the Comtes back label in French.