TN: 2006 Simon Bize Savigny-lès-Beaune 1er Cru Aux Vergelesses

• 2006 Simon Bize Savigny-lès-Beaune 1er Cru Aux Vergelesses - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Savigny-lès-Beaune 1er Cru (6/20/2009)
    This was infanticide for sure. Nevertheless, I loved this wine and it’s obvious it’s got a lot of promise. Bright cranberry, raspberry, and earth on the nose. Fresh, bright crushed berry flavors on the palate. All red fruit and no black or dark fruit. Spice and black forest ham play on the palate as well. Amazing fruit purity and precision that sails right into and through the remarkable, silky textured finish. Very tannic and structured, still, and it’s not giving up everything right now, but I can only imagine what this will be like in 10+ years.

http://vinopelz.blogspot.com/2009/06/2006-simon-bize-savigny-les-beaune-1er.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Great note, thanks. I have several of these and I’ll wait patiently.

Cheers,

I was just putting this one away in the cellar this morning. Timely note. Thanks.

I think the Bize wines are some of the best values in Burgundy. They are still affordable, show good purity, give you a good example of the terroirs and are just downright tasty.

Steffen,
Thanks for the note on this one. I have heard only very good things about Bize’s '06s, but I haven’t tried one yet. And when this wine is on, it’s such a great wine.

Cheers,
-Robert

I know they took a HUGE price increase with the '05’s. Are the '06’s reasonable?

They are fantastic wines and IMHO heads and shoulders above the sacred cow of Savigny, Pavelot. Pavelot is good but I always find the wines simple while all the Bize wines, even the village wines are always fabulously complex. They almost always need lots of time and his Latricieres-Chambertin may be one of the best under-rated Grand Cru’s. Can’t think of a Lartrish I like better actually. Same with his Corton Charlemagne.

Lyle.

The 06s are the same price as the 05s I believe. I paid $50/bottle for both vintages.

I just picked up 3 each of the Guettes and Marconnets from 2006, too. At $40/per, those seemed like great deals if they are even remotely in the same quality ballpark. Judging by John Gilman, Allen Meadow, and Claude Kolm’s notes, that should clearly be the case. Bad news is that all these wines are now more difficult to find in the more reputable stores…is production very small? Anyone have any production numbers?

Bize maakes wonderful and ageworthy savignys. Pavelot also does great savingny, although in a darker style (albeirt not modern) than the ones made by Bize

Old Chandon des Briailles can be surreal. I have purchased some 2006s but have not tasted them. Leroy also produces a great savigny, at Leroy prices and with Leroy’s style

Not in my opinion.

Skroback,

I am shocked that is your opinion. [rolleyes.gif]

For less than $50 I think they are quite reasonable.

Lyle, look, I like Bize. Let’s be honest and say what is obvious: the 2006 Burgundy (and Bordeaux) vintages were priced incorrectly. The industry was drunk on all the cash made from the 05 vintage and forgot about the consumer. I am not picking on Bize, a producer I like, but 06 Burgundy was priced poorly (umm, for the consumer). They have not sold well and more sales are coming…

I agree. The '05 Bize’s were some of the biggest offenders. Just rattling your cage. Need an emoticon for that. [rolleyes.gif]