TN: 2006 Sea Smoke Pinot Noir Southing

The problem is that there isn’t much Botella being produced anymore. As the vineyard ages, the wines are becoming more complex and structured for aging, therefore there isn’t much to “declass” into the Botella.

employee allocation?! hmmm… any job openings? my “C4” allocation from last year clearly wasn’t enough…

And while we’re on that, is there any public information of what the ‘point levels’ are that are needed to be at each of the allocation levels? Maybe I can exchange some of my useless AMEX points for Sea Smoke points… :smiley:

I’ll take that deal!! How much Botella do you want and what is your legal specialty?
Email me.

He and daddy are ambulance chasers.

I had an '05 Southing the other night and it was not showing well. Like someone else noted…I’m glad it wasn’t my first introduction.

I tried an '01 last year that was pretty nice. So, aside from the Botella, these wines need time. IIRC, due in no small part to oak regimen and clonal differences, both the Southing and Ten have a lot more structure and they’re just not pop-n-pour - even with lengthy decanting.

Glad to have the confirmation - I start to think I’m a bit insane, that I’m the only person alive that thinks the '05 Southings are nowhere NEAR ready for business…

All the recent notes have almost prompted me to crack open another one, but I’m getting low (1 left is pretty low) and I’d rather know for sure than waste another one.

I don’t know if I’ll get on the list this year (it’s been about 19 months so far) but I’ll get this out early. If anyone wants to share, PLEASE let me know.

This is one of my wife’s absolute favorite wines and I’m under orders to obtain whatever I can… [cheers.gif]

I am in the EXACT same boat as you, Yoni. I have been on the list for a little over a year, and SS is one of the few wines that my wife has designated as a “must buy.” We are taking a trip up to Solvang in March with friends who have been on the list a few years and have scheduled a tour of the facilities. Can’t wait! [dance2.gif]

I had the 06 Southing back in November, and even after a lengthy decant it never really opened up to its full potential. Very silky smooth and will come together with some time, but no where near ready for business yet.

Forgot to post in here, but this weekend (Saturday) a friend and I downed a bottle of '05 Southing, and lo and behold, it was actually dang good!

The oak is still strong, but it has integrated quite a bit in the last 6+ months or so. It’s definitely drinkable now, IMO, and will likely be better in a few more months/years. Still, this is the first '05 Southing I’ve been impressed with. Very nice, actually…

Do you age most of your Ca Pinots?

Not that many of them…I’m into '04’s and '05’s now, barely on the '05’s

That’s longer than most…five years is a must for me…though I break that rule frequently.

I’d prefer some '03’s, but oh well. I’ve got so many '05’s and '06’s that in a couple years, I’ll be all set

Ditto…but with the amount of 07s I’ve purchased I’ll be in treatment at the end of 2012.

These are absolutely stunning with age, so I just put them out of sight out of mind…need to take them up to storage actually so I’m not tempted to pop an '05 anytime soon.

I did pick up an '06 Ten the other day for about $90 from an e-mail I got from my storage facility. Not a bad deal…so at least I have two of those bad boys now. Would love to move up to C3 status! Need more referrals I guess! -mJ