TN: 2006 R. López de Heredia Rioja Reserva Viña Bosconia

It’s not “necessary” but if you took it away you would not recognize many of the greatest wines in the world.

So much of it is bottle-dependent. The best bottles of ‘76 Bosconia I’ve had were a slight nod over ‘73 and ‘81.

But the complexity and energy of good bottles of the reds from the 30s to 60s (plus 70 Tondonia) put them at another level for me than the wines since ‘73. A bottle of ‘54 Tondonia still haunts my dreams. 1981 may well get to this level.

I think you’re talking about new wood notes. I’m talking more about the lighter signs of wood such as spice or the softer or smoother framing wines take on from wood versus concrete or stainless. Most traditional wines from the Old World were made in wood whether it be barrique or foudre. Those vessels make some imprint on those wines they would not have if made in something else.

I often forget that I will be cross examined like I’m on the witness stand here.

I made no claim that all wines use wood. I’m merely pointing out that for the vast majority of the traditionally made wines that we all hold reverence for use wood vessels in their creation at some point.

This.

Interesting then that RLdH did not declare any GRs (at least as far as I know) in '82 - neither of the Tondonias, nor the Bosconia.

Different time. And don’t forget, the reservas can age wonderfully. In fact, I’ve had crianza from Muga and a few others from those years and it was really good.

I bought some 2002 because it was a universally panned year but when I tasted it with them at the bodega, I thought it was really nice stuff. Not in the league of 82, but as David says, it’s something you can drink early and not feel like you might want it older.

'76 is my favorite Bosconia GR from the 70s, and in the running for my favorite LdH from the 70s to date.

Ok, I’ve only had a handful of LdH from highly regarded vintages in the 60’s and 70’s, none from before that. And they were all outstanding.

I found notes of dill and oak in the 09 Cubillo but have never found them in the other wines of LdH. I would describe the wood aromas as the kind you notice when opening a drawer in an antique desk.

David thanks for the original post. I have a few bottles of the 06.

But I’d be happy to fly to NYC to put the 81 LdHs to the test against any and all of those other years!

Unfortunately I am personally out of reds. And also unfortunately replacement is not really in the budget. But maybe we can wrangle something together.

I can go for testing some LdHs, including non-reds. Non-LdH Rioja, as well.

One question I have: why are the Bosconia Gran Reservas so much more expensive than the Tondonia Gran Reservas? The regular Reservas are similar in price.

They both are usually priced the same when released.

Just to add and I don’t know if this is a factor, Bosconia production is about 1/3 or less than Tondonia. Smaller vineyard.

For the Reservas, that is not the case for new release pricing here in the PacNW. In almost all vintages, I see the red Tondonia priced higher than the Bosconia (typically somewhere around 15%).

And, in my experience, both red GRs are priced roughly the same (for same vintage).

Michael

Release pricing is identical in my market.

2006 R. López de Heredia Rioja Reserva Viña Bosconia - Spain, La Rioja, La Rioja Alta, Rioja (8/12/2019)
– decanted approximately one hour before initial taste –
– tasted non-blind over four hours –

NOSE: cherry Twizzlers; a touch oxidized; oaky; hint of gasoline/automotive grease; strong baked cherry; seemed to improve over the first couple of hours, before settling into its spot.

BODY: light to medium-light bodied; ruby color of medium-shallow depth with bricking throughout.

TASTE: high acidity; baked cherry; a bit oaky (not as much as on Nose, and to be expected from Rioja); nice today, but I’d like to see ten more years on it; little tiny TCA-like taste, but neither Ashley or I believe it to be corked; improved with air over 2+ hours; not tannic; alcohol not noticeable.

50, 5, 12, 17, 8 = (92+ pts.)