TN: 2006 Mount Eden Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon Estate Bottled

2006 Mount Eden Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon Estate Bottled - USA, California, San Francisco Bay, Santa Cruz Mountains (11/17/2012)
Bought a case on release and its been over a year since my last bottle. Decanted for two plus hours and half of the bottle saved for night two. This wine was very reserved on the nose and mouth. Nose is full of dense black and red fruits, mild oak toast, spice and some iron/creosote. Dense and full in the mouth but adequate acid, integrated tannins but not too heavy. Seems overall tight and closed down but packed for the long haul. 6 years old and this seems at least a few years off from drinking. On night two it seems a bit more unwound but the fruit is hiding that I remember from its youth. Lots of minty like eucalyptus on the nose, menthol like herbs and spice. Palate has some black fruit with some olive tampenade. After a few hours in the decanter on night two some pretty red fruits emerge with a glossy like mouthfeel. A glimps of what this may be like at age 15 on the last sip. I think this is a solid year for mount eden cab and cellar time will pay dividends. While still very concentrated it absolutely needs time, do not touch for 3-5 years.

Great wine. Year-in and year-out.

These cabs amaze me at how long they can age without degradation

I almost grabbed one the other night. Thanks Tyler!