TN: 2006 Domaine Michel Lafarge Volnay 1er Cru Clos du Château des Ducs

Given the recent thread on Lafarge, I figured I’d check in on one of my bottles. My experience with the producer is admittedly fairly limited, but the wines have struck a chord with me on each occasion. This bottle has oodles of structure and I certainly understand both sides of the “will they ever be ready” debate. What I have tasted from the domaine, thus far however, leads me to believe that these wines will continue to grow and evolve in a positive fashion over time. I hope I am right, as I continue to stockpile more and more of them.

• 2006 Domaine Michel Lafarge Volnay 1er Cru Clos du Château des Ducs - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Volnay 1er Cru (1/6/2013)
    Followed over a 24-hour period.
    P-N-P on night one, and needed an hour or so to fill in. There is a lot to like here, despite the impressive structure and tannic spine that wants to take center stage. I found notions of strawberry, pine and menthol on the nose which, admittedly, does take a little coaxing before revealing itself. That said, it is the balance of strength from the structure matched with the airy, laciness of the fruit that makes this such a captivating drink. Years away from maturity but, even in its youth, the yin and yang nature of fruit and structure is alluring.

Posted from CellarTracker

Nice note Rick. I’m a big believer in lafarge wines. In fact the 85 duc from magnum tied with the 00 Roulot perrieres for my favorite wine from la paulee last year. That’s saying something with the amount of crazy wine we consumed that weekend.

Nice note. Thanks.