TN: 2006 Cappellano Barolo Piè Rupestris Otin Fiorin (Gabutti)

thanks. That would be my default approach

I had a glass of 2007 Franco and my immediate reaction was wishing I had magnums of it. Unfortunately, have never tasted it again.

+1 It’s been so fantastic just pop and pour after 30 minutes despite clearly having the bones for aging, it’s hard to stop opening them. I’m very happy I have one of the 2011 in magnum, since they don’t tend to bring a lot of those into the US.

Which 2011 are you talking about?

Rupestris. I believe Adrian is talking about the Rupestris as well, though he can confirm that.

Indeed the 2011 Rupestris. Had it again last night and it’s still ripping amazing.

Had, the 2011 Rupestris and 2011 Pie Franco together
The Rupestris were shining. Far deeper than PF
2006 maybe it is different but the Rupestris is not fading. Fact
I’m other words
Do not drink up

Grandi Botteglia in Torino. I’ve had hits and misses with wines from Piedmont (Grandi Vini, Alba) and Switzerland (Grandi Vini sourced in Piedmont). The wins seem to outweigh the misses so far. Condition of bottles (appearance) seemed ok, but will know when I start opening more. Also picked up some 1999 and 2001 Bric del Fiasc.

An 89 Cappellano from mag in Feb was absolutely amazing as was an 89 in October. Both wines very young. A 90 from a year ago showed the warmth of the vintage, but it had years of life in it. Recent 2000s over the past 2 years were very good, but ready to drink. 98s still need time but show very well with some air. However, I’ve had plenty of crappy older Cappellano, pre-95, so it doesn’t surprise me that there is variability with 2006.

After reading this board, it was with great trepidation that I opened my first bottle of 2006 Pie Rupestris earlier this week. Results were mostly good, though it was maybe the worst case of infanticide I’ve ever committed.

Consistent with other notes, the wine had a slightly brown/brick tint, which was scary. But the cork was in perfect condition and there was no sign of a problem. Initial taste was somewhat like drinking a barrel sample from a very traditional 2013 barolo - massive structure, a punch in the face, and a wall of tannin, but a clearly well made wine.

After decanting for 90 minutes, the wine opened a bit, and paired nicely with a tagliata di manzo (ribeye cap with arugula). Powerful beast meets powerful beast.

Bottom line on this bottle was that it was in good condition, but probably needed 10 years or 12 hours of decanting, or both.

Wait, what? You had a mag of 89 Cappellano? I’ve never even seen one. I don’t suppose you still have the empty?