TN: 2005 Woodside Vineyards Pinot Noir Estate

• 2005 Woodside Vineyards Pinot Noir Estate - USA, California, San Francisco Bay, Santa Cruz Mountains (12/8/2009)
    A real nice SCM Pinot Noir. I think, based on this one bottle, that I might actually like these wines more than McHenry. Damp earthy nose with hints of mushrooms. Dark red fruit with a bright beam of wild berries and some mineral notes. Fruit is a little more forward at this point, but I think there is enough acidity to help this continue to improve. This will rest more on the acidity than the tannins, which are smooth and in the background. If this sheds a tad bit of the sweetness hint, I’d like this even more. FWIW there are some small similarities with this and the Rhys San Mateo. (90 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

I’ve had this wine a number of times over the last year and a half and think it’s a bit shut down right now. A lot of the complexity is hidden right now.

Interesting comment - Woodside’s estate vineyards aren’t that far from the Family Farm Vyd. I’ll have to think about that next time I try one. The fruit itself reminds me a bit of Mount Eden, in a very general sense of darker fruit expressions.

Did you taste this at the futures event? Anyone local and interested should check their site. They’ll be open for the second weekend of their annual barrel tasting event this Fri, Sat and Sun. (I’m going Sunday.)

I was hoping you would chime in. Great input on it being maybe a little closed. If that is the case, I’m picking up a few more to sit em. Had no idea family farm and the estate vineyard were kinda close. Regardless I’m a fan. Might join their wine club too. 45 - 65 dollar shipments 4 x per year that includes a 20% discount and shipping. Pretty good deal for an 8 bottle a year committment.

I stopped by on saturday after doing a trail race just up the road at hubbart park. Beautiful 31 mile run through the mountains. I didn’t know they had those festivities going on. I willbe going by more for sure.

Funny moment, I was paying for the bottle and this nice old guy warned me that the wine “wasn’t a big oak and fruit bomb, that it was more lean and Burgundian in nature”. I just smiled and said perfect!