TN: 2005 Simon Bize Savigny-lès-Beaune 1er Cru Aux Guettes

Got into this one last night. Never seem to have enough Bize around. Always so solid.

• 2005 Simon Bize Savigny-lès-Beaune 1er Cru Aux Guettes - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Savigny-lès-Beaune 1er Cru (8/21/2022)
    As Bize does, this needed a lot of air to wake up. Even at 17. It is irony and lean on opening. Very Savigny. Definitely Burgundy. After an hour it starts to show sweet cherry fruit and more forest floor/earthiness. More sous bois comes on. There's a delicate touch here. It is a very good Burgundy that you savor over a meal. No fireworks, no dieties, just a well-made pinot noir that still has some years to go.
  • Posted from CellarTracker

6 Likes

Thanks for the TN Dennis. I’ve only got the 05 Vergelesses that I keep patiently waiting for. Sounds like no hurry based on the Guettes. I’ve got a couple bottles of '08 Guettes so might need to check in not too far down the road.

I’m feeling guilty for not posting a TN about the 05 Drouhin Beaune Clos de Mouches which is now entering its drinking window FWIW.

RT

1 Like

Re the 05 Drouhin Mouches, I opened one a few days ago. I agree it’s starting to drink nicely but I think it still has so much in reserve. I bet it doesn’t peak for another decade or more – but then again I tend to like a fair bit of age on my wines.

1 Like

Thanks, Richard! Thinking about one of those Drouhin soon. Actually stood one up the other day. We’ll see. Cheers.

Clos Mouches so long, lived, too. '83, '89, 90 at a dinner a couple years back just killed it.

The 93 is perfect right now.

1 Like