TN: 2005 R. López de Heredia Rioja Reserva Viña Bosconia

Thanks. After tasting Tondonia and Bosconia 2004 Reservas, I decided to buy a little Tondonia only and skip Bosconia. Will probably make the same assessment soon for 2005.

I’m really looking forward to the GRs from these vintages (circa 2024-25) and hopefully prices will not be stratospheric.

Given that, in general, 2004 and 2005 are considered relatively strong vintages across Rioja, I think it’s a pretty strong likelihood that RLdH will release Gran Reservas (eventually) for both vintages. However, it’s certainly not a guarantee at this point - I’m not aware of any guidance from the bodega on GR releases for those vintages yet.

For the GR reds, 1995 is still the current release vintage (and getting more scarce in the market as time progresses). My understanding is that they won’t be releasing red GRs for any vintages from '96 thru '00. And that the 2001 GRs are targeted for release out around 2021.

Not sure at all how the GR white vintages will proceed. Current vintage is 1996, following 1994 (unlike the red GRs, no white GRs released in 1995). No idea what vintage will be next after 1996.

Bottom line - If you want to add more GRs in the short term, either grab 1995s as soon as you find them in the market, or look to secondary sources. Good thing we have some relatively strong Reserva vintages for now…