TN: 2005 Palmina Sangiovese Undici (USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Ynez Valley)

• 2005 Palmina Sangiovese Undici - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Ynez Valley (1/6/2010)
    Bit of oak on the nose, but nice fruit components - I would NEVER guess this a Sangiovese, however. More like a light Central Coast Syrah, or young vined Zinfandel. An interesting herbal thing going on as well. On the palate, it is a rather hefty feel, big for Sangiovese to be sure. Dark fruits with baking spices, more herbs, some qualities that are reminiscent of a big SRH Pinot Noir as well. Finish is surprisingly long and pleasant - no tannic structure to speak of, however, so I’d take these down in the short term. This wine is good, I just can’t pinpoint WHAT it is…

This is my last bottle of Palmina - recent business decisions by its owner have prompted me not to go back to get more, but I do miss their Malvasia Bianca in particular…

Posted from CellarTracker

What recent business decisions? I always felt that they were a bit too pricey…

Some actions one of the partners in the duo had (Brewer-Clifton)…there’s a thread on this forum somewhere about it…

I tasted through a bunch of the Palmina’s, including the Undici Sangio, when the supplier showed them to me for the store. I found the Sangio’s to be the least impressive wines of the line (for pretty much the same reasons you were less than thrilled). But the Dolcetto, Barbera, and (surprisingly) the Nebbiolo’s (both the “regular”, and the higher-end “Sisquoc”) were quite exceptional, I thought, and perhaps the most true to their Italian heritage of any domestic Italian-varietal wines I’ve tasted to date. I liked the Malvasia and Tocai Fruilano, too.

I’m curious about your slam against the brand, though, Todd, especially if it’s related to some issue with Brewer-Clifton. Palmina is all Clifton’s, no involvment by Brewer to my knowledge. Care to elaborate?

http://www.wineberserkers.com/viewtopic.php?p=132775#p132775" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Interesting thread, Todd - I guess I missed it the first time around. Jim Coley’s defense of Bill Clfton kind of reminded me of all those Bay-area folks that believed (and for all I know may still believe) that Barry Bonds didn’t take steroids [wink.gif] .

I think I liked Zach Lang’s take on the situation best - they’re certainly within their rights to do whatever they want with their product, but we don’t have to like it. I think the most “on-point” comment in the entire thread, however, had nothing to do with Bill. And that is, with his lengthy track record, why anyone would be paying any attention to RMP when it comes to pinot noir is beyond me. And I am not bashing Parker here - I have been a subscriber for many years. But every taster has his “wheelhouse”, and while Bob is virtually money in the bank (at least for my palate) when it comes to Bordeaux, his “take” on Burgundy and pinot noir is almost comical (again, if only for my palate).

Ofcourse, Beaux Freres notwithstanding? [blink.gif]

RT

I would say that’s Exhibit A in the case against taking his views on pinot seriously. :slight_smile:

I can only act with my pocketbook, so I have chosen that because of what happened to Liotta (and others), I won’t be buying wines made by Brewer and/or Clifton, at least for a while.

I’ve always thought Palmina’s white wines were better and more consistent than the reds. Their traminer was a staple for me during the summer months.

Brewer Clifton and Kistler = Exhibit B…Modernish Cab in your Pinots anyone? To his credit with non-pinots, he’s more often right than not (IMHO). I wish he had less of a sweet tooth, less oakaphilia, and less tolerance for wines that are roasted or virtually fortified. deadhorse

RT

Absolutely. As I said in my notes, I miss their Malvasia Bianca most of all.