TN: 2005 La Rioja Alta Gran Reserva 904 (Rioja)

I was using “pickle juice” as more of a pejorative term for overwhelming dill. Primarily it’s a dill thing, although I’ve had bottles of LRA that tasted like someone soaked a dill pickle in the bottle for 20 minutes before serving. Back in the early 80’s when I was just starting into wine I drank quite a bit of LRA and loved it, and don’t remember dill at all (It was $5-8 a bottle or something like that, and already had a fair amount of age already when it arrived on the shelf.)

+1 on the 2001, which I drank a few years ago.

I have the impression that there is a lot of bottle variation from this vineyard. Comments?

I concur.

“Vinegar is a liquid consisting of about 5–20% acetic acid (CH3COOH), water, and other trace chemicals, which may include flavorings. The acetic acid is produced by the fermentation of ethanol by acetic acid bacteria.”

“pickles are usually made with a very basic brine of equal parts cider vinegar and water mixed with salt”.

I hear “pickle”, I usually think vinegar, not dill.

Of course, pickle is a broader term as well for preparing and preserving various vegetables and fruits, not just cucumbers.

Why is it that the dill quality of new American oak shows up so robustly in Rioja, as opposed to say a North Coast Cab with American oak?

Something about Tempranillo?

Shows up pretty clearly in Silver Oak and you’ve never heard of “Draper Perfume?”

Have you had Silver Oak?

I found the 1995 890 to be almost overwhelmed by American oak about a year ago, but with good fruit beneath the wood, and so in need of lots of time.

[dance-clap.gif]

Good answers. That’s why I asked!

Have had Silver Oak but not in a long time.

I have heard Silver Oak has made a turn for the better recently.

Interesting, Mike, thanks. I have not yet tuned into the difference between all the different regional oak signatures, but consider myself “oak sensitive” and have pushed away any number of glasses with overt oak signatures. In this case, FWIW, I did not notice overt oak in this bottle. I would gladly open a bottle to check (if I had one) :angry:

You guys are weak! I cannot believe neither of you found the real Freudian typo!!! Not peaked enuff?

What am I, chopped liver?

Your Spaniard membership card is revoked.

How was I supposed to know you like Rioja, too? I thought you were more into thin and weedy Chinons and stemmy Northern Rhones like me!

Got stuck in Miami last night, missed all late flights home after a very long mediation, so here I am revisiting the wine on night three (ha, after wearing same clothes two days in a row, nasty). Solid wine. Seems better integrating, picked up some depth, but yes, still a subtle nuance of pickle. It’s a hint, not a detractor. This is a very elegant wine that I am happy to own.

Are you sure this pickle thing isn’t a bathing issue?

Very surprised to hear this…Vlasic everywhere sir with American oak. Whenever I hear the dill or pickle note I immediately think ‘American Oak.’ I guess for me it’s quite obvious.

U guys remember the great 2001 la rioja ardanza pickle fest? Power To The Pickle! This wine for me was pickle not dill.

I find Ridge cabs tend to harbor quite a bit of this ‘dill’ note in their wine. I used to like them back in the day but I guess they no longer ‘pique’ my interest.

Had to get that in there.

Also guilty for point and status chasing pileon and was sensitive for the #1 position of Wine Enthusiast in combination with a good deal (28 euros) mailed to me…

Normally like Rioja but do not have a lot of experience with them. Could the 904 be discribed as ‘old skool’ or a more modern approach? Drank some Luis canas Seleccion de la familia lately, is this comparable?

There was definitely variation with those 2001 Ardanzas. No pickles in mine.