TN: 2005 La Grange Neuve de Figeac, Saint-Emilion n/k/a Petite Figeac

I’d love a case at $18/btl.

Pearls of wisdom right there!!

You two kids, Robert and Rudi are funny. You both like 2004 Kirwan. I wonder what you have said if you knew Rolland was the winemaker and consultant. They didn’t have the money to hire a full time technical director in those days!!! Rolland did both jobs until 2006.

I don’t think I said that Jeffois, go check the Kirwan thread again! neener

I said that I liked Margaux as an appellation more as I aged, and that I did not like the 2000 Kirwan. Was Rolland involved then?

And I’m quite sure that there have been wines that Rolland made that I enjoyed. I’m not that dogmatic. Heck, I even enjoyed a 2003 Cos at an American steakhouse that over-spices and salts everything. Needed soem vanilla and chocolate to balance it out. [wow.gif]

Woohoo, I survived cross-exam and have not been impeached. Just checked your most wonderful website - and I mean that sincerely - and it appears that Rolland was in fact involved in the 2000 vintage.

Thanks brother. We aims to please! We have s new function that’s live now. I need guinea pigs to test it. Please try the Advanced Tasting Nite Search and let me know what you think. It’s a cool feature. At least I think it is … Search Wine Tasting Notes, Reviews, Ratings, Bordeaux and Other Wines

Yes I noticed the changes when I was doing some research on this second label. Really efficient and easy to use.

Jeff, when Rolland and his team do everything right, the result is quite impressive, but most of the time they do it wrong, unfortunately… :slight_smile:

Robert, I am shocked – shocked! – that you liked this wine. I opened one last night and had I not been coming to it from your note, I would have thought “this is the kind of modern St Emilion that would make Alfert steam.” Lavish oak, intensely fruited . . . I bet Uncle Rolland would have been proud of this wine.

I didn’t dislike it, and SWMBO actually commented that she did like it. Is it possible they snuck some Monbousquet in my bottle?

You know, fresh application of denture paste accentuates the flavors of toast, right?

I kid, I kid. Wow, I suck, I’m now 0-2 with you recently, though you did buy the Jaugueyron in a tough vintage.

Ironically, I was on the Millesma website last night trying to buy more of this lovely wine, but they will not ship to FL. Bummer. Send me down what you have left and I buy for your price plus shipping.

Can I send you up a Chinon?

[wow.gif]

Hahaha! No, you keep your Chinon and I’ll keep the petit Figeac. I was just mystified about how you and I could have had the same wine and have had such different views. It wasn’t “bad”; it was just miles from classic

I PM’d Jeffois to inquire about the oak regime in the second label.

Here is his note on the 2005 Figeac:

Tobacco, with thyme, forest floor, mint and cherries in the nose. The wine is medium bodied, open and delivers a short, finish with some rusticity in the tannins. This style of wine will definitely appeal to tasters seeking out more of a classic style of Bordeaux.

89 points - Tasted Jun 28, 2015

The traditional, light and austere style made it hard for me to enjoy. I found the wine offering “4 T’s.” Tight, tannic, tart and traditional. I would have scored the wine much higher if it had been at least a tad tawdry.

87 points - Tasted Jan 20, 2008

Read more at:> Learn about Chateau Figeac St. Emilion Bordeaux Complete Guide

He has no note on the second label. I know Figeac is 100% new oak, now, but not sure back then. Of course, the percentage of new oak does not necessarily translate into an oaky wine, and conversely, less new oak does not automatically correlate to less oak taste, either. Always surprises me that Sociando is 100% new oak and only 5% cab franc.

LOL, Post #20 above, you said you would Rollandaize it by adding Coke!

Yeah, I can’t make much sense out of my experience last night. It def does not match your experience or Jeff’s.

BTW, you’d have loved that 96 Haut Batailley I had Friday night. In fact, it was the kind of wine that just about any bdx lover could appreciate. Enough polish and sweet fruit for the “modern” crowd but so light on its feet. Just a beautiful wine.