TN: 2005 Jada - "Jersey Girl" Syrah - (Paso Robles, CA)

• 2005 Jada Vineyard Syrah Jersey Girl - USA, California, Central Coast, Paso Robles (9/10/2009)
    – decanted for an hour before tasting –
    – tasted non-blind over 3 days –
    – 100% Syrah –

NOSE: a bit artificial/rubbery smelling – v/a, perhaps? deep loganberry and black cherry aromas; violets; a little bit of oak; grilled hotdogs.

BODY: very dark purple color of great depth; fine sediment present; medium-full to full bodied.

TASTE: surprisingly smoky; bitter - very extracted fruit; tannic; crispy bacon; a bit green on the aftertaste; a very “dark flavored” Syrah; not fresh – on the tannic side of well-balanced; alcohol (16%) is noticeable; oak. Yet another good-to-very-good heady Syrah monster that performed better in the single quick taste setting of the Tasting Room than it did in the relaxed whole bottle taste setting of home.

B: 50, 5, 10, 15, 7 = (87 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Jersey Girls usually smell like that.

Rubbery would usually indication mercaptans or some other higher sulfur compound.

Jada wines are just too alcoholic for me. [swoon.gif]

Cool … thanks for this tidbit. [cheers.gif]

Jada wines are just too alcoholic for me.

This Syrah was the only one of their lineup that I liked when I stopped by their tasting room about a year ago. Most their other wines I found to be rather boring, and overpriced by $10 - $15. The alc. didn’t strike me much in the tasting room, but it did hit pretty hard when drinking the bottle at home. This problem has recurred enough times that from now on, I’m going to be very careful about buying these alcohol monsters.