TN: 2005 Jacques-Frédéric Mugnier Nuits St. Georges 1er Cru Clos de la Maréchale

Coche '05 is such a great example. After a bunch of fat, mediocre '05 whites, someone relatively recently opened an '05 Coche ‘Enseigneres’ that blew me away. I’ve also loved Raveneau’s '05s. But both are the exception, not the rule.

Your comments re '05 reds are interesting to say the least. I’ve remained bullish on their long-run prospects, but you have vastly more experience than I have with them so it inspires a bit of concern. Good fodder for another thread.

When I tasted the 05s out of barrel I was blown away and then I thought about 71, a ripe vintage that went to sleep, that nobody ever tasted you on.

I loaded up on Lafarge andMugnier and they are both good. I remember Becky Wasserman saying she thought 06 was the vintage to buy but I was broke when they came out

When I tasted the 05s out of barrel I was blown away and then I thought about 71, a ripe vintage that went to sleep, that nobody ever tasted you on.

I loaded up on Lafarge andMugnier and they are both good. I remember Becky Wasserman saying she thought 06 was the vintage to buy but I was broke when they came out

I wonder how much of this is reflected in all of France. 05 Bordeaux isn’t terribly approachable right now either, and the few 05 northern Rhônes I’ve tried have been monolithic. I guess it takes a winemaker like Mugnier to make an approachable 05.
At a recent blind tasting of 05s, I had the Mugnier Chambolle as my #2 of the night (the winner was a ringer - an 02 Mugnier Fuees).

As much as I like Lafarge, their 05s are so dense (at least Caillerets and Clos des Chenes) last time I tried in 2019. I don’t think they will taste different today, or do they?

Lafarge: I opened a Clos des Chenes and it was surprisingly drinkable
More than I can say for some of their older wines!
Down to my last 93s

I opened a 2005 in a .375 and wow, has this developed beautifully since I last had it a couple of years ago. It has a wonderful texture with all the sharp edges gone. It’s one of those wines that I could just hang out with smelling for hours. As a Burgundy neophyte, this is what I’ve been waiting for with a red Burgundy that I matured myself.

The 05 lafarge was a 1er cru volnay
Just opened 99 of the same
Ready to go!!

I’ve only opened a few 05s and thought the Nicolas Rossignol 05 Chevrets was phenomenal a couple years ago. The 05 Jadot dominode or p. Rion chambolle were not ready. I am guessing my Lambrays, Jadot CSD/Beze, and Angerville Champans won’t be ready either. I have a couple of these Marechale though.

here’s my data on the 2005 Mugnier NSG Maréchale
Purchased in January 2007 from Garagiste for $65.87 still holding them.
I will look in on them in the next few years. 2005 has so much in reserve

I got a few from Garagiste at that price and also Wine Library. But the best price was $53 at JJ Buckley. I’ve drank a couple over the last year. They were excellent but certainly no rush to drink.

maybe avoiding all vintage of the decade/century/millennium hype is a sound buying strategy?

i have had the wine in question and it left me unmoved, as this cuvee often does. i feel like i have had better whites from 05s than reds.

I’ve not liked the whites from the start. So much so that I don’t own a single bottle.

find an 05 seve du clos from arnaud ente flirtysmile