TN: 2005 Domaine de la Pépière (Marc Ollivier) Muscadet de Sèvre-et-Maine Sur Lie Vieilles Vignes Clos des Briords

I’ve only had the 05 Clissson once, courtesy of Ian. Neither the 07 nor the 09 quite matched it for me. I found one of my last bottles of the 07 to be flabbier without having developed anything to compensate for that loss. The 09 is still doing beautifully. But, on balance, while I’ll still age my Clissons, I think the Briords age better.

No 2005 Clisson left in my cellar. Just one magnum of 2007 Clisson. That should be fun.

Happy to do a side-by-side of 05 and 07 in NY next time you’re here. And anyone else on the thread who wants to join.

I’ll join, with caveat that I don’t have Muscadet older than 2010. But, happy to add Loire Cab Franc with some age if preferred.

I opened an '05 Clisson last summer and in many ways it was a perfect wine. In an evening of PYCM, Zind, Chapoutier blanc, Touchais, Foreau, the Clisson was somehow the wine I couldn’t stop thinking about the next day.

I only have 12 and 14 Clisson but older bottles of other Muscadets. Still one 1989 L d’Or which I’d be happy to sacrifice for the cause. Also one 2002 Briords and I have an '04 of something or other on hand (L d’Or or Briords, not sure) that I was planning to open in the next few weeks but could be convinced to hang on to for this.

I"ll have to get back to the states to do an inventory of what I have in the way of aged Clisson, Briords and L d’Or. I’m pretty sure I have the L d’Or in 02 and 05. The Briords maybe back to 05. I think I have a bottle of 07 Clisson, and I’m sure I have some 09s.

If we wait until my next business trip, if you can call them that, it won’t be until the middle of November. Don’t you guys ever get to DC?

If we open a Loesberg offline to all aged Peppiere and Luneau-Papin Muscadet, I have a ton. I think my oldest is now 98 Briords.

I still have several magnums of 05 Clisson; for some reason, I bought only magnums that year (and went overboard). Would be happy, naturally, to sacrifice one at the Jeeb alter.

CT says I also have a magnum of 05 Briords somewhere in my crawl space, but the odds of finding would be similar to those of winning a Powerball jackpot. But I’d give it a try for dinner with Jonathan.

The last 05 Briords magnum I opened was very fine.